Media HACKED!: Laser Diode from DVD Burner

CDS

In this episode of HACKED! You will be shown how to extracted a laser diode from a DVD Burner which should have enough power to ignite a match and or blind you permently ;). In order to power the diode correctly you will be demonstrated on how to build a constant current source which delivers a precise and steady current to any load up to 500ma.

Update to the video

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Pretty sweet, but dangerous. Would you do one yourself?

I found this video in the Youtube suggestions:

This guy's laser even uses the old computer's PSU as a power source. Pretty neat too.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I started making a burning laser project and was going to transfer it over to a Star Trek phasor. I used a blue laser diode because you can see the beam as it lights up the dust particles in the air. But alas, I lost interest. But others have persevered.

LisaTiffany

Pretty sweet, but dangerous. Would you do one yourself?

I found this video in the Youtube suggestions:

This guy's laser even uses the old computer's PSU as a power source. Pretty neat too.

Every time I see this thread I can't help but think Goldfinger :ROFLMAO:

1345300900-0.jpg

CDS

I do want to build one. I have about 25 to 30 CD/DVD drives sitting around to play with... I wonder if I can get a multi-beam going.I'll need a variable power supply to check the forward voltage of the LED's.
This one looks interesting...

Might come in useful to get my cat to stop rippin up our screens... I'm soo tired of replacing screens :cautious:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Imagine creating a huge laser array that you could focus all at once on one particular point. I'm wondering if it could cut through something like iron or steel. How many lasers like the one in the original post would it take to actually cut through stuff like "real" industrial lasers?