Health Care - this "loss" is really a WIN!!!!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
But no other civilised country has its people go bankrupt when they're ill. In Britain healthcare is freely available to all, regardless of ability to pay. I can't see what's wrong with this.

I do agree that this would work if the government picked up the tab. But apparently in real practice the government winds up going broke instead.

Into the Mystic

The NHS is failing at the minute because the Conservative government refuses to fund it. That's an ideological thing. It's not because the government's broke, it's because they are ideologically opposed to single-payer.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
The NHS is failing at the minute because the Conservative government refuses to fund it. That's an ideological thing. It's not because the government's broke, it's because they are ideologically opposed to single-payer.

Yes but the prior liberal government refused to fund it thus creating the current situation.

Into the Mystic

I don't think you know very much about British politics. The government before the Conservatives was the Labour Party, not the Liberal Party. The Liberal Party last governed in 1922 and ceased to exist in 1988. And yes they did fund the NHS, healthcare expenditure more than doubled in the 13 years Labour were in government. The current situation has been created solely by the Conservatives and their ideological hatred of poor people not dying of illness.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You have free healthcare. Your living standards compared to American standards are those of a society living in poverty. You have no guns to defend yourself. And apparently you believe that your government tells you it is a democracy. It looks to me like you are a domesticated and loyal servant to your state. Over here in America seeing is believing.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
But no other civilised country has its people go bankrupt when they're ill. In Britain healthcare is freely available to all, regardless of ability to pay. I can't see what's wrong with this.

I do agree that this would work if the government picked up the tab. But apparently in real practice the government winds up going broke instead.

It seems to be able to pick up the tab for millions of illegal aliens, though.