Hoax Alert: Facebook to Charge $5.99 to Keep Your Profile Private and “Legal Notices” of...

Paranormalis

Think outside the mind
It happens once or twice a year. All of your friends post a legalese-looking message that says if you just cut and paste it to your own wall, it will prevent Facebook from claiming all of your posts, photographs, and other content as it’s own intellectual property. To take it a step further, this year we have posts that are now saying Facebook is about to start charging everyone $5.99 to keep their information private.

Both of these are total hoaxes and not founded in fact whatsoever.

For starters, the silly message that everyone is cutting and pasting into their newsfeeds wouldn’t hold up a second in a court of law, assuming Facebook did pull a fast one on its own terms and conditions (which you claim to have read when you signed up and each time it has changed since). It’s not that simple to absolve yourself of all responsibility, and it’s not that simple to make another party have to go along with your feelings. The reality is that Facebook has never tried to take its users posts and content as its own, and the terms and conditions continue to lay that out as of the publication of this article.

As for the $5.99 thing, it’s another hoax that doesn’t even make sense. If you did pay $5.99 to have Facebook keep your profile private, it would defeat the purpose of having a Facebook profile in the first place. Having no one able to see your page would make it in effect useless. What’s more, the idea that $5.99 represents more to Facebook than using your information to sell to other companies in the form of advertisements and your internet habits is ridiculous. If Facebook did offer a service like that for $5.99, they would be undercutting their entire business model. And there is one other piece of evidence to consider… you can block anyone from seeing your profile at any time.

Facebook is a very smart company. Genius, really. No way they would go for either of these strategies. And saying “Gotcha” to Facebook does not mean that your content is suddenly copyrighted in the Library of Congress.

Source: Common Sense Conspiracy

Num7

Administrator
Staff
People will fall so easily for those "share this or else...".

That's one of the things I hate from Facebook. So much noise you have to go through to get to content that has done value.

Night Vision

People will fall so easily for those "share this or else...".

That's one of the things I hate from Facebook. So much noise you have to go through to get to content that has done value.
:eek:That is one of the reasons I stay clear of the FB Lands and only use to chat with my children in the messenger section and do my art. FB is not a safe place to be.:cautious: Scammers and crooks are around ever corner in the FB Lands. When I am done with chats with kids I always deactivate until I talk to them again. FB has become an easy targeted demographic. Way too may stupid people with hearing and vision issues roaming around easy targets for scammers and other abusive low life's with no lives:confused: I was hacked several times when I was on FB. I had to make a secret covert account to even be able to talk to my children who are in college In California.o_0 FB security is not what they say it is, it needs to be improved and more secure. FB does nothing about most of the problems that are happening on a daily basis in the FB Lands, it can be a horror show of stupidity and gullibility at times:confused: The FB Lands is getting so big and is evolving to be something that is not ever going to be a good thing:) FB would not and should NEVER charge people for their privacy and I know they cant, so these hoaxes are just ridiculous, I don't know how some of these scammers can actually think it would work out well for them.:D

Last edited:

Derrick C.

It happens once or twice a year. All of your friends post a legalese-looking message that says if you just cut and paste it to your own wall, it will prevent Facebook from claiming all of your posts, photographs, and other content as it’s own intellectual property. To take it a step further, this year we have posts that are now saying Facebook is about to start charging everyone $5.99 to keep their information private.

Both of these are total hoaxes and not founded in fact whatsoever.

For starters, the silly message that everyone is cutting and pasting into their newsfeeds wouldn’t hold up a second in a court of law, assuming Facebook did pull a fast one on its own terms and conditions (which you claim to have read when you signed up and each time it has changed since). It’s not that simple to absolve yourself of all responsibility, and it’s not that simple to make another party have to go along with your feelings. The reality is that Facebook has never tried to take its users posts and content as its own, and the terms and conditions continue to lay that out as of the publication of this article.

As for the $5.99 thing, it’s another hoax that doesn’t even make sense. If you did pay $5.99 to have Facebook keep your profile private, it would defeat the purpose of having a Facebook profile in the first place. Having no one able to see your page would make it in effect useless. What’s more, the idea that $5.99 represents more to Facebook than using your information to sell to other companies in the form of advertisements and your internet habits is ridiculous. If Facebook did offer a service like that for $5.99, they would be undercutting their entire business model. And there is one other piece of evidence to consider… you can block anyone from seeing your profile at any time.

Facebook is a very smart company. Genius, really. No way they would go for either of these strategies. And saying “Gotcha” to Facebook does not mean that your content is suddenly copyrighted in the Library of Congress.

Source: Common Sense Conspiracy
yeah thats obviously a bullshit hoax, Facebook has always and will always be free, and as for keeping ones account safe its easy, dont let your friends or anyone else but yourself use your profile, also if you do change your password regularly if you do share it :)