How Should We Treat Time Travelers?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I think there's room for people who make the claims and the people who debunk them, but not both.

As a forum, you thrive on acquiring interesting content. Have you noticed how much more activity we've had since the appearance of people like this? Whether it's real or not, how can you expect to achieve a COMMUNITY if those who want to contribute something interesting are constantly shot down by "senior" members?

I used to be in that camp and look what happened to the site during my ownership; down the fucking tubes. It's taken over a year for Num's higher tolerance for silliness to get this place back to a respectable level of activity. Now that's it's coming back I think we need to have a mechanism to insulate those with fantastic claims from those who have above-average reasoning skills.

There is room for both sides of the argument, but clearly not in the same thread. The naysayers tend to outnumber the wishful thinkers and the conversation eventually decends into negativity that nobody wants to read. I suggested this to Num via PM the other day but I'll post it here too:

I propose a "Fantastic Claims" category which contain both an "I Am A..." forum (for those claiming to be time travelers, vampires, tri-sexuals, whatever) and a "Logic Brigade" forum (for the debunkers).

Each thread containing a claim like the Titor deal we have going on now would be moved to the I Am A forum where all new posts are moderated before becoming visible, and a corresponding thread is created in the Logic Brigade.

If a post contains something along the lines of this, it gets moved to the Logic Brigade thread. Otherwise it gets approved. This lets the conversation, however ridiculous, continue and generates interesting content for the site while at the same time not censoring or penalizing the people who know how to tear a story down.

I realize this coddles the idiots who like to play pretend, but come on. Would you rather read a mildly amusing story and THEN have a resource to educate yourself, or a site full of threads containing nothing but "you're full of shit"?

Chip Lewis

So we must lighten up on the scrutiny? Seems to me if they are real; our attempts to "debunk" would fail. As
"paranormal investigators" we require the ability to interact with the person who makes the claims. And likewise the person who is making the claim must stick it out. I have had thousands of debates in online forums and the debate itself generates traffic. The attention from members and non-members comes from the debate itself! People will always be on both sides of the fence. If we "coddle" the fools and paint pretty rainbows...we'll have hundreds of leprechauns running around and no realistic points of view.

I'm for freedom of speech and letting a full on debate ensue. If the claimant is being honest he'll be able to weather the storm!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Along those same lines, if someone puts together a horrible story and claims to be something they're not, their thread will die quickly after a couple of good questions expose the logic flaws. We don't need debunkers charging in and turning it into the HDRkid thread.

If anything, doing it the way we're been doing it only serves to perpetuate the horrible threads kill the interesting ones.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
So we must lighten up on the scrutiny? Seems to me if they are real; our attempts to "debunk" would fail. As
"paranormal investigators" we require the ability to interact with the person who makes the claims. And likewise the person who is making the claim must stick it out. I have had thousands of debates in online forums and the debate itself generates traffic. The attention from members and non-members comes from the debate itself! People will always be on both sides of the fence. If we "coddle" the fools and paint pretty rainbows...we'll have hundreds of leprechauns running around and no realistic points of view.

I'm for freedom of speech and letting a full on debate ensue. If the claimant is being honest he'll be able to weather the storm!

The point isn't to verify if they're real; at least not in the context of my idea. The point is to allow the genuinely interesting content to exist without shitting it all up. A forum survives on interesting content, not threads full of garbage like the HDRkid thread:

"You're full of shit"
"I predicted Coke Blaq"
"You're full of shit"
"No I'm not"
x10000

Again, the interesting stuff will float to the top. The garbage will die on it's own.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Sorry for the triple post, the edit function is being weird. Just wanted to add:

Let's be honest, how many genuine vampires/time travelers/Man-Bear-Pigs/dragon slayers/extraterrestrials are we REALLY going to get here? It's about interesting content, not stringent methods of verification. If that were the case we'd be a very empty website.

Chip Lewis

The point isn't to verify if they're real; at least not in the context of my idea. The point is to allow the genuinely interesting content to exist without shitting it all up. A forum survives on interesting content, not threads full of garbage like the HDRkid thread:

"You're full of shit"
"I predicted Coke Blaq"
"You're full of shit"
"No I'm not"
x10000

Again, the interesting stuff will float to the top. The garbage will die on it's own.

I guess we all have a different agenda. I remember "frog"...if the kid told frog to wear his underwear on his head walk backwards and sing "Supercalifragalisticexpialidosious" he would and it would be the result of the rainbow painting.

My bottom line is (and always will be) getting to the truth, the heart of the matter.

Also...I agree with your point about the blatant insults, they are unnecessary.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I guess we all have a different agenda. I remember "frog"...if the kid told frog to wear his underwear on his head walk backwards and sing "Supercalifragalisticexpialidosious" he would and it would be the result of the rainbow painting.

My bottom line is (and always will be) getting to the truth, the heart of the matter.

Also...I agree with your point about the blatant insults, they are unnecessary.

If we had a better balance of debunkers:wishful thinkers it;d be very different. This site has been around a while though and most of the senior or more active members have "seen it all". That attitude tends to tsunami a hoaxer's thread and we're left with very little.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Back when we were Time Travel Forum and Paranormal Network we were hugely active; hundreds of posts per day where you had a respectable balance between the two sides. That's not the case anymore; the balance needs to be artificially generated.

Chip Lewis

Actually, these are the same staff discussions we all had back in the old days. Forums have a spirit of their own...and this is our crutch...I guess it always will be. It's like a fucked up tattoo we'll never be able to fully cover up.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Actually. This is the same staff discussions we all had back in the old days. Forums have a spirit of their own...and this is our crutch...I guess it always will be. It's like a fucked up tattoo we'll never be able to fully cover up.

LOL I remember those. It's not an easy thing to please both sides. It comes down to what kind of site we were, what kind of site we are now and what kind of site Num wants to be. Having seen the change he's made I'm leaning towards the "more content, more craziness" end of the spectrum. It's fun.