How small could intelligent aliens be?

tpeezy4sheezy

Recently I read an article on space.com and it said that scientist figured out that more than likely most intelligent ETs would be around the size of a polar bear. Here is a link to the page I got from space.com.

The Big Alien Theory

Anyways, what I am wondering kind of applies to this. How small could an intelligent, space traveling extra terrestrial species and civilization be? I always think of ants. Think of some type of creature that evolved kind of like ants. I mean they have huge networks and communities and some even farm they build vents for air and heat flow. They are really quite remarkable and smart. Now imagine a creature like that but with really really dexterous hands and the ability to build things from their environment. Some would say they are too small to build space ships but they aren't. It would take a much smaller ship to transport an ant to the moon than it would to transport an elephant. Also the amount of fuel would be smaller as well. Could you see a possible scenario out there somewhere in the vastness of space a fleet of billions and billions of little "people" exploring the universe. Imagine if they landed here. We could literally be whiped out by a species the size of a bug. Make no mistake about it either. If they can get here even if they were that small our chances of winning a bAttle would be even smaller than they are lol. Another thing I imagine is maybe some type of super advanced nano-bot that becomes self aware and maybe makes itself some sort of cyborg like creature. Oh and if we flip my question around.....how large could intelligent life be that travels space? Could it be like the movie dune where it's the size of an elephant or even something much much bigger? Isn't the universe a wild, fascinating thought provoking place!!!

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I think it has something to do with the size of the planet they are from and the gravitational pull. A larger planet with a larger gravitational pull, in theory, would have larger creatures with more muscles. I know, I know. We have ants. Explain ants. Well, perhaps a huge planet's "smallest" ants are bigger than ours. I'm talking about scale. That's my theory, anyway.

tpeezy4sheezy

I think I read that on bigger planets they would actually be smaller because the huge gravity would make it a lot harder to move and grow vertically. They would be more muscular and squatty. Think an elephant but much less talll and longer. It would need more muscle too to keep up it's body weight. Also they said on such planets mountains and geology would be much different as well.

Itheblaze

A person's a person, no matter how small or large. If Einstein had invented the shrink ray and zapped himself down to the size of an ant, his intelligence would stay the same.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
TP, I found a scientific explanation with math proof that you are indeed correct.

Does a bigger planet command bigger sized life forms? Or smaller ones? - Quora

Gravity sort of compresses, making things denser and compact. Creatures born in less gravity are more capable of supporting themselves, so they can be bigger. This article emphasizes the density of a planet rather than the size of it. Denser = higher gravitation pull. At least this is what I'm gathering by my skim reading. hehe.

"Assuming that dinosaurs were near the upper limit, we'd guess that if you went to a planet that had 10 times the gravity, the largest species would be 1/10th the size. Since dinosaurs were around 100m, on this new planet, the largest animals would be around 10m. Similarly, on a planet that was 1/10th the surface gravity, it would have life that could be 10 times larger with 1000m sized mobile, living beings."

I've learned something new. Thank you!

tpeezy4sheezy

Lol I'm always learning something new especially on here haha. I'm just glAd places like this forum exist. It seems 99% of the public aren't open minded enough or just don't care enough to have a serious discussion about this kind of stuff. You are looked at as a nerd or whatever. But back on topic im sure with the universe being so large that somewhere there is a planet dense enough to where some sort of intelligent life evolved that is really really small. The crazy thing is they could literally be flying around us every day and we wouldn't even realize it. To me the large aliens aren't the scary ones in an invasion scenario. It's the small ones I would worry about lol.

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
The Chupacabras is supposed to be pretty small.

... and it apparently floats around in complete disregard of gravity.

Krish

Now, the next question is, can brain size predict intelligence? Can a small alien be smart? It's basically up in the air and DNA has a lot to do with it.

Ask a Neuroscientist: Does a bigger brain make you smarter? | Neurosciences Institute

So, who knows?

Since it is paranormalis...I may add a new item...

All living creatures (except bugs) have a spirit. Some are a collective spirit (like Plants) and others are individual. Normally spirits do not communicate with the host, except in dire emergencies (Universal Law) but in special circumstances they might such as a smaller advanced creature. In that case, the database is available for tiny minds to get in to it to have the IQ as good as a normal person....

Just a thought...

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
Now, the next question is, can brain size predict intelligence? Can a small alien be smart? It's basically up in the air and DNA has a lot to do with it.

Ask a Neuroscientist: Does a bigger brain make you smarter? | Neurosciences Institute

So, who knows?

Since it is paranormalis...I may add a new item...

All living creatures (except bugs) have a spirit. Some are a collective spirit (like Plants) and others are individual. Normally spirits do not communicate with the host, except in dire emergencies (Universal Law) but in special circumstances they might such as a smaller advanced creature. In that case, the database is available for tiny minds to get in to it to have the IQ as good as a normal person....

Just a thought...

So if bugs don't have a spirit, what powers them?