How to Get a Time Machine and $700K

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I ready like this great story about Time machines and making money. if you could do all the things listed below. LOL

How to Get a Time Machine and $700K

Monday, August 8, 2011

Many people throughout history have only wished they had a time machine. Who knows what trickery one could do with such a device? Maybe you want to go back to the past and change the present, or go back to the future and change the future? Maybe you just think it would be cool to go around time travelling.

Today, I will explain how you, yes you, can get your very own time machine. And yes, it’s one that also travels through space to a limited degree, because time travel is also space travel.

Chapter 1: The Park

The first step is simple. You have to go to the nearest park. Waiting there will be a time machine. I know that’s a big surprise, but congratulations. However, your mission is not over — technically you don’t have a time machine yet. Well, yes, I know you’re looking at one and you can see one and operate one, but that’s not really how time works here. Ok, stop. Just listen.

Head inside that time machine. In it, you will find a suitcase filled with $1 million. What? Another shocker. Ok, keep your head on your shoulders. This isn’t spending money. This is buying-time-machine money. Take your time machine and your $1 million and go to the far future, a future in which time machines are available for personal sale.

Use all the money in your suitcase to buy a time machine for $1 million. This will be the very time machine you are currently in. However, we’re not done yet. We still need to account for the $1 million. Quit whining with your time paradoxes you, this is science.

time-machine.jpeg

Chapter 2: The 1920 Penny

But now for the third step. This involves time travelling back to 1920. Go around the streets until you find a 1920s penny. Then find the nearest bank and deposit the penny into an account with 3% interest, compounded annually. Now time travel back to 2010 and withdraw $0.14 in 1920s money, which due to interest is $1.44 in 2010. (I used an inflation calculator and interest calculator to figure that out.)

Interestingly, your bank account will actually hold $143.15 in 1920s money ($1544.14 in 2010s money), but don’t withdraw all of it or you’ll mess with time. I’ll explain later.

6hCd.jpeg

Chapter 3: Ice Cream Sales

Anyways, Step #4. You now have enough money to go to the nearest ice cream shop and buy a very small ice cream cone. Do so, but resist the temptation to immediately eat it. Instead, you will time travel back to 1920, where ice cream had been in existence for about a century, but still remains a very expensive treat, and ice cream cones were still unheard of.

Since your ice cream will soon melt and good refrigeration had just been invented and remained rather rare, you need to find a buyer for your ice cream rather quickly. If you plan your time machine drop location right, you should be able to offer it to a wealthy person for $10 in 1920. Take the $10 and deposit in your bank account.

ice-cream-cone.gif

Chapter 4: Using the Stock Market

When you get back to the future, you’ll have the account of $143.15 in 1920s money ($1544.14 in 2010s money). Another version of yourself, a past self relative to you, will need to withdraw $1.44. So you’ll get to withdraw $141.71.

This is good enough to time travel to August 2004 when Google goes public in the stock market. Use $100 to buy a stock. Since you have access to the future, you’ll have access to the ultimate insider trading, and can look at the table to see that the stock peaks in December 7, 2007 at $714.87 a share. Sell your stock then and you’ll now own $756.58.

Ok, now for some more fun with the stock market. Time travel to June 27, 1997 where shares of Apple are worth $3.67 each. With your money, you should be able to buy 206 shares and have $0.56 left over. Now time travel to February 11, 2011 where those shares are worth $356.85 each. Sell all 206 of your shares for $73511.10. Add that to your leftover change and you’ll now have $73511.66.

stock-market-roller-coaster.jpeg

Chapter 5: Stock Market Millions

Now we need to get some more money, but we can’t buy too much stock in one company for fear of changing history. We have to keep a low profile. So to do this, we’re going to time travel to Sep 27, 1974 and invest in the S&P 500. At a price of $64.94 a share, we can afford 1131 shares with $64.52 left over. Go to June 27, 1997 and use this left over $64.52 to pick up 17 more shares of Apple. Our new total will be 1131 shares of S&P 500, 17 shares of Apple, and $2.13.

Now we’ll find a perfect time to sell all those shares. We know to go to Feb 11, 2011 to sell our shares of Apple, so we’ll do that and pick up $6,066.45. The best date for selling S&P 500, however, seems to be March 31, 2000. So let’s time travel back there and sell our shares for $1498.58 each. We’ll now have $1,694,893.98 from that transaction. Add in the apple stock money and our spare change, and our total cash on hand is $1,700,962.56.

Now convert all of that money into cash and time travel back to your present. Deposit $700,962.56 into a lovely savings account, and then take a suitcase of $1,000,000 and put it in your time machine. Then take your time machine and put it in the park nearest to your house. Then go away and live the rest of your life. Your relative-to-you-past-self will then find the time machine and the $1 million and complete the same journey.

And presto! You now have a time machine and $700K.

kurisu

I'm assuming this is meant to be a kind of joke or something? If I went back in time I would go back into WWII or WWI or both :D

BlaqueJacques

If you try to use modern money in the past, you'll get arrested for using false money. So you need old bills if you intend to buy anything in the past.