Humans just got our first good look at Pluto, and it's incredible

trekie4ever

Bending space.... sounds like my salvia trip. Never ever do that. Ever....

I believe space can be bent with our minds. The problem is all the scrubs out there who need everything so.... concrete

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
It would seem easier to bend spacetime in order to reduce travel distances to a minimum. Much more convenient than old school travel from point A to point B.

Can you imagine what kind of propulsion engine a ship would need to travel from Andromeda to the Milky Way in a month? In a day? Or in an hour? Good luck! That is, assuming a 100 million, or a billion years old civilization would achieve intergalactic travel.

Warp speed? ;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, why not? But is it possible to travel that fast in space at all?

What happens if you're travelling at 1000 LY/hour and hit a few dust particles floating in your path?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Yeah, why not? But is it possible to travel that fast in space at all?

What happens if you're travelling at 1000 LY/hour and hit a few dust particles floating in your path?

I thought that the concept of "warp" in Star Trek involved bending/stretching space.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I think you're right. The animation does look like the ship is just merely going really fast, I think that's what files me. It goes into subspace, right?

trekie4ever

I think so. Any Star Trek experts out there? :)
Why how do you do good friend?

Warp speed utilizes subspace. The engines create a warp field which more so creates a pocket of subspace around the ship. Rather than moving the ship, which has mass, actual space is rolled around this bubble.

Sort of like a rolling pin with dough on it. The ship would be like... the handle bars or axis. Unmoving yet it rolls with the pin(the bubble) across the dough, space. The math says that it's the space (dough) that moves, however, which is in a sense, massless. This is because the ship doesn't actually dwell in natural space but this relatively motionless out of phase pocket of space. As the ship rolls across space crunches up in front and expands behind while remaining static within the bubble. This creates something similar to Bernoullis principle

Last edited:

trekie4ever

That's why they never ever use impulse engines which are used for maneuvering in natural space while in warp, and kick them on right after leaving subspace. It would knock them out of the bubble. There have been exceptions and it never ends too well.