If I went back in time and changed something would I fade out of existance

TheMedic2001

I've seen the ending of season 2 of The Flash basically Barry went back in time and saved his mother and he saw himself(from season 1) fading out of existance and that made me think if I went back in time and changed some thing that would drastically altered the present would I fade out of existance or is it gonna be like BTTF and I'll just need to get back to my time and remember the last timeline and just live in the new timeline without knowing anything from it?

Cassinova

If you put the multiverse theory into effect here, I'm pretty sure if the change was drastic enough you would cease to exist on this timeline since the past is part of the present in a sense.

HDRKID

Basically, the timeline splits into two separate streams, and you have two sets of memories.

Funny, Dean Kamen, the inventor of the segway, says that he wants to use a time machine.

To go back and see the big bang. To see Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg address.

Well, the HDR is easy to build using radio shack parts, he would be fascinated if he did travel in time.

Netflix

Last edited:

TheMedic2001

Basically, the timeline splits into two separate streams, and you have two sets of memories.

Funny, Dean Kamen, the inventor of the segway, says that he wants to use a time machine.

Well, the HDR is easy to build using radio shack parts, he would be fascinated if he did travel in time.

Netflix

Does Steven Gibbs still sell his HDR units or do I need to make my own one and if I do how do I make it?

Mayhem

Zenith

Netflix

Does Steven Gibbs still sell his HDR units or do I need to make my own one and if I do how do I make it?

Have you tried contacting him?

TheMedic2001

Netflix

Have you tried contacting him?
Nah, I'm trying to move forward

The Fifth

As you are a self aware being , you split from the main timeline and nothing happens and you are not concious of the change. If the split cannot happen, then the Grandfather Paradox is present. ( Meaning you get erased - you die )

NaturalPhilosopher

I've seen the ending of season 2 of The Flash basically Barry went back in time and saved his mother and he saw himself(from season 1) fading out of existance and that made me think if I went back in time and changed some thing that would drastically altered the present would I fade out of existance or is it gonna be like BTTF and I'll just need to get back to my time and remember the last timeline and just live in the new timeline without knowing anything from it?
No. What we define as cause and effect is incorrect.

MetaMatrix

The Man of Esoteric Knowledge
Definitely not, Cause-and-Effect is not applicable to these cases. If you attempt to change something on your past, new timeline will be created, therefore creating alternate reality. After you return to present, you will normally expect that nothing changed! WTF? Really nothing changed? My best solution would be, shift your soul to the newly created timeline. And you would expect there what you expect to be changed.

PS: Avoid Grandfather Paradox, Read Philadelphia Experiment and Montauk Project