Is it possible we are due for another extinction event?

Falkon303

Was watching the X-Files, and there was this episode "Biogenesis" that came on and mentioned previous extinctions events in the intro. It made me interested enough to Google it, and I found a Wiki page showing all of the past extinction events in a table - Extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What interested me was that we are currently *in* an extinction event due to the amount of animals we make go extinct. Holocene extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no fixed pattern to extinction, and we probably have another few million years, but what about global climate change and how that influences our chances?

Wanted to hear some thoughts on this, and also how it might relate to the rise in interest in colonizing other planets. Perhaps science already knows?

Last edited:

CDS

Was watching the X-Files, and there was this episode "Biogenesis" that came on and mentioned previous extinctions events in the intro. It made me interested enough to Google it, and I found a Wiki page showing all of the past extinction events in a table - Extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What interested me was that we are currently *in* an extinction event due to the amount of animals we make go extinct. Holocene extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no fixed pattern to extinction, and we probably have another few million years, but what about global climate change and how that influences our chances?

Wanted to hear some thoughts on this, and also how it might relate to the rise in interest in colonizing other planets. Perhaps science already knows?

I have a keen interest in this subject.

As it goes for climate change effects the lower food chain (plankton) and works it way up and kills the oceans. Then there's the mega storms and other global weather effects of climate change, man will have to deal with as it comes. This will effect the food chain derived from land and thus work its way up the food chain to the extinction of mankind.

My personal POV is we'll get whacked by a meteor or a super volcano before we fall to a climate change extinction.

Falkon303

I have a keen interest in this subject.

As it goes for climate change effects the lower food chain (plankton) and works it way up and kills the oceans. Then there's the mega storms and other global weather effects of climate change, man will have to deal with as it comes. This will effect the food chain derived from land and thus work its way up the food chain to the extinction of mankind.

My personal POV is we'll get whacked by a meteor or a super volcano before we fall to a climate change extinction.

Cool info about the chain of events.

I wasn't so much looking at climate change itself, but moreso that climate change would CAUSE things like a super volcano or have some form of interaction on the environmental level that lead to an extinction event.

I was curious if any of the past events can be paralleled with environmental conditions (temperature or otherwise), that we might actually be feeding into.

Martian

The world's population today is around 7 billion people, whereas it was less than 2 billion a hundred years ago. The human body is about 70% water - water which ceases to exist in the environment and be available to plants, animals, cloud formation, erosion, etc. Humans also exhale CO2, which is cited as a greenhouse gas.

The idea of "manmade global warming" is a scam that politicians invented in order to get rich from an artificially created "carbon credit" market. They have no interest in saving the world or anyone on it. However, the points mentioned above will ultimately be used by them to attempt to justify reducing the human population - by any means necessary.

Falkon303

Have you ever heard of "Snowball Earth"?

That's pretty interesting. It makes me think of the giant sunspots that have been seen lately. I sometimes think that science projects this image that the sun will be around for millions of year, while in reality it could blow up or do something crazy for some reasons we may not even know yet. Of course if that happens, everything goes. Let's hope not.

Brian Jung

A meteor can destroy all of us including bacteria at any time.
It is no wonder that it will happen tomorrow or next week.
I'm very impressed that human civilization has been flourishing for more than four thousand years.
It looks like that the great existence ( whatever it is ) is caring for us.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I think mankind has a long way to go... That doesn't mean we couldn't all be wiped out by some sort of event, I think Brian Jung is right when he said something is looking out for us...