JFK Assassination: Secret Service stand-down

george martin

The driver shot jfk with a handgun, likely a 38 service revolver fired from 6-8 feet in front of the President. The violent thrashing backward was caused by the close range shot.

John F. Kennedy Assassination Homepage :: Warren Commission :: Hearings :: Volume VI :: Page 38

This testimony and evidence leaves no doubt about Greer's close range shot with a high velocity handgun.

Dr. Mcclelland. I think even then you could make the statement that this wound could have resulted from this type bullet fired through this particular mass of soft tissue, losing that much velocity before it exited from the body. Where you would expect to see this really great hole that is left behind would be, for instance, from a very high velocity missile fired at close range with a heavy caliber bullet, such as a .45 pistol fired at close range, which would make a small entrance hole, relatively, and particularly if it entered some portion of the anatomy such as the head, where there was a sudden change in density from the brain to the skull cavity, as it entered. As it left the body, it would still have a great deal of force behind it and would blow up a large segment of tissue as it exited.

But I don't think the bullet of this nature fired from that distance and going through this large area of homogenous soft tissue would necessarily make the usual kind of exit wound like I just described, with a close range high velocity heavy caliber bullet. This is why it would be difficult to say with certainty as has been implied in some newspaper articles that quoted me, that you could tell for sure that this was an entrance or an exit wound. I think this was blown up a good deal.

"Handgun used"

2. Dr. Charles Wilbur: Dr. Charles Wilber concluded after reviewing the notes made by surgeons at Parkland Hospital, that they suggested that the head wound was made by a hand gun fired at close range.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: U.S. Secret Service involvement in the JFK assassination

6. A.J. Millican: “It sounded like a .45 automatic, or a high-powered rifle.” <19WCH486>

7. S.M. Holland: “It would be like you’re firing a .38 pistol right beside a shotgun, or a .45 right beside a shotgun.”

george martin

Clint Hill heard Greer's revolver. He knew what it sounded like because all agents at the time were likely carrying one. Testimony Of Clinton J. Hill, Special Agent, Secret Service

Mr. HILL. This is the first sound that I heard; yes, sir. I jumped from the car, realizing that something was wrong, ran to the Presidential limousine. Just about as I reached it, there was another sound, which was different than the first sound. I think I described it in my statement as though someone was shooting a revolver into a hard object--it seemed to have some type of an echo. I put my right foot, I believe it was, on the left rear step of the automobile, and I had a hold of the handgrip with my hand, when the car lurched forward. I lost my footing and I had to run about three or four more steps before I could get back up in the car.