Jimmy Carter on NSA: 'America has no functioning democracy'

Samstwitch

Some would argue that the U.S. is a Republic. That's true, but we also used to be a Democracy until our Constitution was shredded. A Definition of Democracy: a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges. Jimmy Carter is correct. U.S. journalists did not cover this story, but it should have been big news coming from a former U.S. President. The only reason this story made it to the news was due to a German newsmagazine that covered the story.

Jimmy Carter on NSA.jpg
Jimmy Carter on NSA: 'America has no functioning democracy'

July 18, 2013 - Former President Jimmy Carter was again critical of the National Security Agency surveillance program brought to light by fugitive leaker Edward Snowden.

"America has no functioning democracy at this moment," Carter said at a closed-door event in Atlanta covered by a German newsmagazine.

No American outlets covered the event, but the quote published by Der Spiegel is in line with opinions Carter has expressed previously.

In June, just after Snowden became trapped in Moscow's Sheremetyevo International Airport transit zone, Carter described the intelligence leak as "beneficial."

"He's obviously violated the laws of America, for which he's responsible, but I think the invasion of human rights and American privacy has gone too far," he told CNN. "I think that the secrecy that has been surrounding this invasion of privacy has been excessive, so I think that the bringing of it to the public notice has probably been, in the long term, beneficial."

He added that nations were within their rights to offer Snowden asylum.

Snowden requested temporary asylum in Russia until he can reach Latin America safely, where Bolivia, Venezuela, and -- "if circumstances permit" -- Nicaragua have extended offers of asylum.

Snowden's lawyer said Wednesday that he will leave the airport within the "next few days" with a certificate showing that a request for temporary asylum in Russia is under consideration, allowing Snowden to legally leave the airport's transit area.

The U.S. government has requested Russia expel Snowden. It's not clear whether Russia will decide to grant temporary asylum, and a decision could take weeks.

On Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters that ties between the U.S and Russia "are far more important" than an intelligence scandal.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Even our voting system for presidents and other "elected" officials is rigged, just how un-democratic we have become.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I can't really reply directly to this post because I am not very good with political debates, but it is refreshing to finally see people agreeing my thoughts about this corrupt government. People are waking up and now I, and others, don't seem so "crazy".