Look up! An asteroid will be zooming past Earth on Christmas Eve

Num7

Administrator
Staff
And we'll have our first Christmas full moon in almost 40 years.

Not one to be forgotten in the midst of all our Christmas celebrations, space is giving us plenty of reasons to look up and marvel at its various cosmic phenomena, sending an asteroid our way on 24 December, and then dishing up the first Christmas full moon in almost 40 years.

You don't want to miss out on seeing either of these events - we won't see Asteroid 2003 SD220 around these parts again till 2018, and we have an even longer wait for the Moon and Christmas to line up again. NASA predicts that the next full moon to fall on Christmas Day will not occur until 2034.

At its closest point, Asteroid 2003 SD220 will zoom past Earth about 11 million km (6,787,600 miles) away, which is more than 28 times the distance between Earth and the Moon. While only professional and amateur astronomers will have access to the telescopes needed to spot it, this is no tiny speck in the sky. Astronomers have estimated that the asteroid is around 2 km in length, and it's hurtling through space at around 27 km/second.

NASA advises that we don't have to worry about it impacting Earth for at least the next couple of centuries, so go ahead and celebrate your next 200 Christmases with abandon. You also don't have to worry about reports that Asteroid 2003 SD220 will cause earthquakes as it makes it closest flyby - they couldn't be further from the truth.

Source:
http://www.sciencealert.com/look-up-an-asteroid-will-be-zooming-past-earth-on-christmas-eve

TimeFlipper

And we'll have our first Christmas full moon in almost 40 years.

Not one to be forgotten in the midst of all our Christmas celebrations, space is giving us plenty of reasons to look up and marvel at its various cosmic phenomena, sending an asteroid our way on 24 December, and then dishing up the first Christmas full moon in almost 40 years.

You don't want to miss out on seeing either of these events - we won't see Asteroid 2003 SD220 around these parts again till 2018, and we have an even longer wait for the Moon and Christmas to line up again. NASA predicts that the next full moon to fall on Christmas Day will not occur until 2034.

At its closest point, Asteroid 2003 SD220 will zoom past Earth about 11 million km (6,787,600 miles) away, which is more than 28 times the distance between Earth and the Moon. While only professional and amateur astronomers will have access to the telescopes needed to spot it, this is no tiny speck in the sky. Astronomers have estimated that the asteroid is around 2 km in length, and it's hurtling through space at around 27 km/second.

NASA advises that we don't have to worry about it impacting Earth for at least the next couple of centuries, so go ahead and celebrate your next 200 Christmases with abandon. You also don't have to worry about reports that Asteroid 2003 SD220 will cause earthquakes as it makes it closest flyby - they couldn't be further from the truth.

Source:
http://www.sciencealert.com/look-up-an-asteroid-will-be-zooming-past-earth-on-christmas-eve
Num7..The Earth is only about 240,000 miles away from the Moon and 93,000,000 miles away from the Sun ::LOL:::D

Physics vs Jaden

Amazing Person
Zenith
OMG, READING THIS JUST MADE ME REALIZE SOMETHING.
I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO PROVE NEWTON WRONG.
This asteroid post is amazing. Also, can't wait to see the full moon on Christmas. In 2020, there will be a full moon on Halloween. Excuse me but um. I need to study asteroids now. Good thing Christmas is coming up. After Wednesday, I don't have work until January 3rd.

TimeFlipper

OMG, READING THIS JUST MADE ME REALIZE SOMETHING.
I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO PROVE NEWTON WRONG.
This asteroid post is amazing. Also, can't wait to see the full moon on Christmas. In 2020, there will be a full moon on Halloween. Excuse me but um. I need to study asteroids now. Good thing Christmas is coming up. After Wednesday, I don't have work until January 3rd.
Didnt you know Newton made a math error regarding the actual amount of gravity on the Moon?...According to Newton the Moon has only 1 sixth the amount of gravity compared to our Earth...His math error meant that the Moon had almost the same amount of gravity as that on Earth!! :eek: This obviously is even more proof that none of the "trips" to the Moon ever happened ;):D

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm sometimes wondering how lucky we are that nothing big hit us since the dinosaurs received that big rock 65M years ago.