Looking for Grandfather Paradox Theories (that say you can kill)

roadjones

NEW HERE! :)
I'm on the hunt for any research or published theories that say you CAN KILL YOUR OWN GRANDFATHER and you would still exist. ( NOT in a parallel universe. ) Basically the very fact you displaced your physical self in time would mean, even though you were not technically born, your physical body (and mind for that matter) would still remain in tact.

Have any such examples be talked about? I would love to read more.
Its a wonderful life is a similar example (although obviously not time travel)

Ren

I'm on the hunt for any research or published theories that say you CAN KILL YOUR OWN GRANDFATHER and you would still exist. ( NOT in a parallel universe. ) Basically the very fact you displaced your physical self in time would mean, even though you were not technically born, your physical body (and mind for that matter) would still remain in tact.

The answer is no. You can not exist twice in your own time-line. This is the same principle that states that no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. For this reason, you can't alter your own time-line. But you can alter and live in another time-line. The very word that you used 'displaced' means that your physical self was separated from your universe. Your physical self must live in some universe, it doesn't have to be your original one.

roadjones

Well technically this is all theory (we don't know what is possible). Just because you've displaced yourself in time doesn't mean you couldn't be in the same universe. If your are back in time technically the future hasn't happened yet anyway. So you're really only existing in one space. (Unless you travel to when you are a child, then of course you would exist twice.)

Just looking for some creative ideas. With all the theories out there surely there is someone (scientist or artist) that has played with this idea???

Terry Stonefield

Here is one....
Solving The Grandfather Paradox - The grandfather paradox states that if you go into the past and kill your grandfather you could never have been born. Therefore it would be impossible for you to travel back through time and kill him. However this is solvable once we realize that time is both linear and cyclical. Similar to a racetrack the 'Start, and 'End' of a path or lifespan are the same exact point. It is a cyclical process. However it is also linear in the sense that you are constantly moving 'forwards'. That is our first instance of linear and cyclical time.

In this example your grandfather's first trip around the track resulted in your father's birth and consequently yours. Then your revisit to his life prompts a second loop around the track. This time he experiences alternative events, namely his early death by you. However nothing can take away that first loop that he had.

Therefore the life events or 'driving forwards' along the path are linear events. Combined, those linear events make up a loop or cyclical path. Meanwhile the completion of one loop after the next is a linear process. The two forms of time go from one to the next then back again. From linear to cyclical to linear, and so on and so forth. It's cyclical paths along a linear line that itself is ultimately cyclical, and so on so forth. It's a fractal.

Therefore going back and killing your grandfather would not effect your life. Going back would merely supply him with a secondary alternative lifespan or loop.

Additional: By implementing not just one but two forms of time the Universe is allowing us to travel any direction through time as it does space while keeping it's overall integrity.

Thanks!
Terry Stonefield
[email protected]

Terry Stonefield

The answer is no. You can not exist twice in your own time-line. This is the same principle that states that no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. For this reason, you can't alter your own time-line. But you can alter and live in another time-line. The very word that you used 'displaced' means that your physical self was separated from your universe. Your physical self must live in some universe, it doesn't have to be your original one.

Minita

Well, so far the knowledge i have gathered about it, it is absolutely possible to go back in time kill yourself or kill your father or kill your grandfather for just to experiment, he will forgive you for that Kidding.:ROFLMAO: and still be alive to return in your own universe in present time .So, you will now think in that case you will never be born so how the hell are you here. The answer is this. You are going back in time in a different universe because the past has already happened and the PAST is not in this universe now. You are going back in a different stream of river leaving your own stream, so in that universe you have killed your father before you were born and so you will never be born in that universe again, in short you won't be their in that fucking universe. So you will return safely in your present universe where you are still alive because in this universe that kind of past never took place. :D

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Let's just go by verifiable observations. Since all of this is hypothetical anyway.

We only see one timeline.

Time machines were invented in late 1930's to early 1940's.

No one yet has reported killing their grandfather.

Buildings appear in empty fields over night with no explanation for their apparent aged appearance.

So given the above, it appears the past is changeable just like the future. A time machine would allow the past to be changed. Observations do point toward the past being modified. If there were multiple universes, then it stands to reason that our past should remain unchanged. Yet that doesn't appear to be the case. Just one timeline. So given that no one has reported killing their grandfather, one might surmise that anyone that tries will cease to exist at the moment of death for the grandfather.

Minita

"Buildings appear in empty fields over night with no explanation for their apparent aged appearance", how this happens? How many of them have used that time machines to go back to kill grand father? I am still not convinced that the past can be changed.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
"Buildings appear in empty fields over night with no explanation for their apparent aged appearance", how this happens? How many of them have used that time machines to go back to kill grand father? I am still not convinced that the past can be changed.

The past changes all the time for me. But then I have an exceptionally good memory for detail. Perhaps you do too. But you may have learned to automatically reject an obvious change as a memory defect. The most recent thing I noticed was a jacket I wear when it gets cold, is now dark blue in color. It used to be light blue. I even remember the day I bought it. It was light blue on that day too. Oh, there is one other change. I now have a red jacket too. I don't know where it came from. Like it just popped into existence. Red just isn't a color I would wear either.