Marijuana Laws

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
So starting today in Maryland, marijuana has become decriminalized in amounts less than 10 grams. All you can receive is a fine, not exceeding $100. It is still a federal offense, though.
Here in Maryland, there are many mixed views on the matter, so I was curious what you thought. Not just in Maryland, but do you think decriminalizing marijuana will create benefits? What about complete legalization? It seems to work for aome states, even other countries, but does that mean it would work for the American people as a whole? Think of taxes and marijuana vs. alcohol, as well...
Thanks! :)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Total legalization would lower the demand and the price, thus lowering crime because nobody would care about selling it anymore.
Look at what happened during Prohbition -- gangsters, bootlegging, etc. -- more crime, more killing, more violence.
Legalizing it would solve many problems and keep the jail cells open for pedophiles, who seem to get a shorter sentence.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Total legalization would lower the demand and the price, thus lowering crime because nobody would care about selling it anymore.
Look at what happened during Prohbition -- gangsters, bootlegging, etc. -- more crime, more killing, more violence.
Legalizing it would solve many problems and keep the jail cells open for pedophiles, who seem to get a shorter sentence.
Well said! :D

I have mixed views on it. It seems like a mostly harmless drug, though I don't use it or know people who do. I heard that prices skyrocketed in Colorado following legalization, because of the taxes on it. Like hundreds of dollars for a small amount. There's also the job aspect of it. How likely is a pothead to go out and work instead of sitting around high all day? The economy already sucks, and discouraging Americans from working doesn't seem like a good idea. Having said that, I don't think people should get in trouble for smoking it. It's like alcohol or chocolate or anything else: in moderation it's probably ok, but in excess causes problems.

What do you think?

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I think if it becomes legal and the prices skyrocket, then the pot dealers out there now will just sell it still. It will never go away. Prohibition doesn't work when there's a demand. But I'm thinking mainly of all the better things law enforcement can do besides busting potheads for non-violent offenses...

BelievingTiger

I have no problem with it being used for medical purposes. Recreational is a whole different ballgame, because the amount of use (heavy to light) can vary from person to person. But overall, all the people I knew who tried or used to smoke pot at one point said all it gave them was the munchies. But then again, a fair amount of them were fairly light users.

I say legalize it, but put some kind of tax on it in terms of bulk. We'll see what happens! :)

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
They will tax it, alright...lol. And like everything else, I'm sure the tax will escalate...

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Hmmm...... this kind of sounds like the government wants their hand in the pot. They want control so they can make the money, but hey, putting someone in jail for having a bag of weed in their pocket is silly when there are so many worse offenses that need more attention. Like alcohol, nobody is forcing you to use it. You use your own judgement and don't need the government deciding for you. Also, being able to buy it at a safe place rather than some creep's basement is better, too. I don't need the stuff, but I'm all for legalizing it.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Of course they want their hand in it...It could help take care of some of our massive debt..Plus, look at all the money being wasted in efforts to controll marijuana, not to mention all the money it costs to house the inmates that are locked up for it...I feel kind of bad for the people who've never been in legal trouble, then they get busted with a bag of pot, and it can ruin their lives..I don't need it either, but I definitely think economically it's a good idea...