Meditation

BlastTyrant

So Meditation has been something i have been interested in for awhile now but i run into one distinct problem and that is i have a very active mind, every second i am thinking about something, i have a problem being able to sit and focus on something without my mind wondering somewhere else.

I have tried to meditate but find it difficult to clear my mind atleast for any period of time, "by period of time i mean seconds" i can sit and for maybe MAYBE 20 seconds not think of anything but i can literally hear the thoughts crawl back up into my head and off they go!

I have tried issense and Lavender and slow mellow instramental music but i just cant seem to do it,

Any advice or suggestions? Is this even the right forum? lol

Wisdom_Seeker

How about lighting a candle, having the mellow music on, and stare at the candle flame.
See only it growing brighter, {try maniupulating it to rise,sputter etc} that keeps your mind on one thing.
When no more thoughts are creeping in, start your breathing, close your eyes, and keep the flame image in your mind, it shouldn't be hard, after staring at the flame so long you WILL SEE IT on the back of your eyelids...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I have a very active mind as well, so I know exactly what you mean here.

I used to meditate every night about a year ago and it helped me to sleep better. I had a hard time to be able to meditate for more than 10 seconds though. The best trick I had, was to focus on my breathing. Concentrate real hard on the air you're breathing, the noise it makes when going through your nose, etc. Or, imagine a balloon that becomes bigger then smaller, as you breath. I used this method and it worked for me as well.

Peregrini

Something you may wish to try is pressing lightly on your closed eyes. You will begin to see colors and curious shapes moving and changing. These are called phosphenes. Concentrate on these and it may help keep your mind from wondering off. It is used by meditators. Don't get carried away or press too hard and know that the longer you do it, you may still see them for a little bit after stopping. You could also develop a headache. Use with care.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree with Peregrini. Concentrating on the shape and colors you get to see helps a lot to reach a deeper meditation state.

Loopi

The Bearded One
HIGHLY recommend scooping up : The Book of Secrets by Osho, you should be able to find it at any Barnes&Noble around 30 bucks i think... It's just a red book it's reasonably thick.

BlastTyrant

I tried the focusing on your breathe technique and i wasnt able to for very long, i tried for a few months but just wasnt able to settle my thoughts down long enough to truly relax and meditate, i did not think of the canlde though that may be worth a try. Thanks for opinions and ideas all. and i will look into the book loopi thanks

BlastTyrant

lol ya i can't do that kindle stuff or online book stuff, i have to have the book onfront of me haha ty for the effort though loopi

Here is one of my techniques when i am having trouble focusing. I like meditation videos that i can tune you tube has some very good ones. Also like some short videos with colorful imagery seem too help. There are some on the pineal gland that seemed to be very helpful to me. Also i like to use earphones so that i can block out all outside noises like childrens lol. Anyway good luck hope this helps. Love and Light Vamp1r3Goddess