Debate Mysteries of the Mind and its Untapped Potential

Derrick C.

im posting this because ive always been curious why we humans only use 10% of our brains and i know its possible to use the full 100% Im amazed to think what i myself or anyone else could accomplish when we unlock the remaining 90% of our brains. feel free to discuss on this i do want this to be a good debate :) hehe :D:rolleyes:o_0

Martian

First of all, what makes you think people only use 10%? I've always heard people repeat that claim, but I've never seen a bit of scientific proof to back it up. It sounds more like a wives' tale or urban legend. Also, it might make sense that different individuals use different parts of their brain than other people do. For instance, a musician surely uses different areas of the brain than a mathematician. But again, this is only speculation without proof. To continue the discussion in a meaningful way, we'll have to come up with a way to scan people's brains in real-time. Who wants to volunteer? :D

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
First of all, what makes you think people only use 10%? I've always heard people repeat that claim, but I've never seen a bit of scientific proof to back it up. It sounds more like a wives' tale or urban legend. Also, it might make sense that different individuals use different parts of their brain than other people do. For instance, a musician surely uses different areas of the brain than a mathematician. But again, this is only speculation without proof. To continue the discussion in a meaningful way, we'll have to come up with a way to scan people's brains in real-time. Who wants to volunteer? :D
I think you just did, Martian! ;)

I definitely think humans are full of untapped mysteries (maybe even abilities, senses, etc..) we have yet to discover, or maybe are not evolved enough to comprehend... Perception skills. Maybe one day we'll be able to see in the 4th dimension, be able to taste a color, see a sound... Feel one another's thoughts/emotions.

Maybe I've seen too many sci-fi movies...:p

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I thought it was scientifically proven that we only use a small portion of our brain.

Maybe not after all.
In reality, the 10 percent claim is 100 percent myth. You use all of your brain. The only instances where there are unused regions of the brain are those in which brain damage or disease has destroyed certain regions.
Do You Really Use Only 10 Percent of Your Brain?

Still in the same article:
Debunking the 10 Percent Myth
Neuroscientists point out a number of reasons why the 10 percent myth is false:

• Brain imaging scans clearly show that almost all regions of the brain are active during even fairly routine tasks such as talking, walking, and listening to music.
  • If the 10 percent myth were true, people who suffer brain damage as the result of an accident or stroke would probably not notice any real effect. In reality, there isn't a single area of the brain that can be damaged without resulting in some sort of consequence.
  • We would not have evolved such large brains if we were only using a tiny portion of them.
  • The brain uses approximately 20 percent of the body's energy. It would make little evolutionary sense to have such a large portion of our energy resources utilized by such a tiny amount of the brain.
  • Brain mapping research has yet to find any region of the brain that does not serve a function. "Numerous types of brain imaging studies show that no area of the brain is completely silent or inactive," wrote Dr. Rachel C. Vreeman and Dr. Aaron E. Carroll in a study of medical myths. "Detailed probing of the brain has failed to identify the 'non-functioning' 90 percent."
Unfortunately, the 10 percent myth remains both popular and persistent. It has been repeated in popular culture in everything from advertisements to television programs to Hollywood blockbuster's such as the 2014 film Lucy starring Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman.

I think we're definitely using more than 10% of our brain.

Gatekeeper

A person could be faster, smarter, stronger, hold enhance senses, better cognitive skills but abilities such as telepathy, claivoyance or another supernatural ability no human is born with. However such things are either tapped into, bestowed, stumbled upon, granted, taught, learned or given through outside forces as noted within some cultures and religion of asking supernatural forces or healing, wisdom, foresight and so on.

Voyageur

When I am picking up berries, I might use 5% of them. When I write here I use 70% of them. When I am at shower or watch out of a bus window, I am channeling trough my philosphic self and In the same time using 97% :)

What I really believe is that we use them all the time, but only in a different ways depending on situation.