Nazi Coin From 2039 In Mexico Sparks Bizarre Theories

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
People lose shit all the time. Or, the person who found it is full of BS. Both are a million times more likely than a coin traveling from a parallel dimension.

Explain the year 2039 on it. Someone went through the hassle of getting a fake coin printed and dropped it somewhere?
Of course, it's possible, but is it likely? I just think it needs to be analyzed.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
It's a shame that we could have evidence of time travel, but the world wants to make assumptions with out analyzing the object.
We are going to miss so much about the universe if we refuse to investigate. That is the ultimate ignorance! Even if it does turn out to be fake, we'll know. Knowledge with science, not biased assumptions!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Explain the year 2039 on it. Someone went through the hassle of getting a fake coin printed and dropped it somewhere?
Of course, it's possible, but is it likely? I just think it needs to be analyzed.
I agree it should be analyzed if possible. A coin and currency expert would be able to assess the coin's quality and tell if it's a real coin, or a one-time fake some dude made at home.

Thelema

Analyzing it would make sense, but the most likely scenario in a case like this is that the person who found the coin is the hoaxer. Kind of like that guy who found a "mummified alien" last year. Even though he was a known hoaxer who had been caught before, it still got press because that's just how that works.

Thelema

I agree it should be analyzed if possible. A coin and currency expert would be able to assess the coin's quality and tell if it's a real coin, or a one-time fake some dude made at home.

I don't think a coin expert would be much help here. When a expert analyzes a coin, they compare it to a genuine coin and examine the subject coin for signs of forgery. For example, a forged coin might be a slightly different color because it uses a different alloy than the real coin. Or maybe the thickness or the weight is wrong, because a different material was used or there is a "filler" material inside of it (even if the outside is the right metal.) Some coins have micro-engraving that might be missing on a forged coin, because that's hard to replicate.

But all of this depends on having a genuine coin to compare it to. This is, apparently, a one-of-a-kind coin - and unless John Titor starts driving Uber, there's no way to hop over to that parallel dimension and get a real one. What makes it a "coin" and not just a hunk of metal is that it has certain verifiable features that make it legal tender. But you can't know if that's the case here because there is no control sample to compare it to.