Quote tag?

Khaos

where the wild things are
Whatever happened to it? Yeah I know I can quote using "reply" but sometimes I just like to copy/paste something from a paragraph and hit upon that with the quote tag. It used to be there... now I have to type the
tag out manually. Which is fine... but I'm lazy :p

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, there were some complains on Xenforo.com lately about this.

You got to click on the Insert button, between Video and Save Draft. I had a hard time at first too. They'll probably fix this non sense in an upcoming release I guess.

Screenshot from 2014-05-09 07:50:02.png

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Mary had a little lamb. Its fleece was white as snow.

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
There is something else about the quote feature that I have noticed. If you manually quote something, it remains unchanged if the original poster decides to edit their post.
If I'm not mistaken, it has always been that way.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Aha! Apparently that bug has been fixed with this version of forum software. If you'll notice I edited my post. And your quote of my original post didn't change to reflect the new edited version.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, I didn't know it used to propagate to further posts quoting the original. I didn't notice it.

I always assumed it did not affect subsequent posts, like right now.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I'm not sure I've ever seen that either... That goes against how forums are programmed quite a bit. Every post is its own entity with it's own text; someone editing their post wouldn't affect another post as the quoted text is specific to that post ID.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I'm not sure I've ever seen that either... That goes against how forums are programmed quite a bit. Every post is its own entity with it's own text; someone editing their post wouldn't affect another post as the quoted text is specific to that post ID.

Theoretically, someone could edit their original post and put a [/quote] tag in there, then write something which, if it had worked as Einstein said, would have caused the person quoting the other to have said something they didn't.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
As I recall the ability to edit one's post was a key feature in posing as a time traveler. As long as no one actually quoted your post, you could go back in time say months ago and edit a post to make it appear you predicted the future. Do you know of anyone here that you might suspect of doing that?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
As I recall the ability to edit one's post was a key feature in posing as a time traveler. As long as no one actually quoted your post, you could go back in time say months ago and edit a post to make it appear you predicted the future. Do you know of anyone here that you might suspect of doing that?

Of changing their posts? Ren, maybe, or any of the other people who try to pass themselves off as clairvoyant or some kind of time traveler. I think Num has the post edit time restricted to 24 hours or so now though. When I owned the place I think I had a similar timeframe, possibly less.