Scientists Induce Lucid Dreaming With Electrical Stimulation

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Dreams in which the sleeper knows they are dreaming and has some measure of control as to how the events pan out have been stimulated electrically, according to a new paper.

Lucid dreaming is the somewhat misleading name given to dreams where the dreamer is aware that they are in fact dreaming. They are not necessarily any clearer than other dreams, but the dreamer can often consciously control the course of the dream, making for a more intelligible experience.

References to what may be lucid dreaming go back more than 3000 years but the name originated in the late 19th Century. For almost a century the topic was treated with great suspicion. However, in the early 1980s PhD student Stephen Laberge had people who claimed to be able to lucidly dream move their eyes in a pre-agreed fashion while undergoing REM sleep, proving the phenomenon was real.

Since then there has been much enthusiasm from those who do not lucidly dream, or do so only occasionally, to find a way to experience it regularly. The success of Inception took this quest up a notch. However, many of the techniques proposed are unproven to say the least.

Full article: Scientists Induce Lucid Dreaming With Electrical Stimulation | I Fucking Love Science

Aryeandris

So, make a nice lil cot next to outlet, grab metal fork from kitchen, relax on my cot and.....
Lol
How can I test this?? Any ideas?

Khaos

where the wild things are
So, make a nice lil cot next to outlet, grab metal fork from kitchen, relax on my cot and.....
Lol
How can I test this?? Any ideas?

That's barbaric lol. Ever try sensory techniques when dreaming? Like laying on your side, with an orange in front of you, and sleeping with the soft scent of the orange. Or listening to a soft, classical type of music when falling asleep. Things like that. Electrical stimulation sounds nice, but there better ways to get lucid dreams :)

Orpheus Rex

Oh, this reminds me... I meant to post about this:

I am involved with a project concerning this.

I am big into parapsychology and if the efficacy of this device is true... It has far reaching implications.
For one, the original study shows that the rate of amateurs lucid dreaming is increased by %30+. That is significant. Now, there are people who spend months and even years trying to just get the basics of Lucid dreaming. It is far more difficult for some people. The ability to lucid dream could be transformed into a valid therapy technique.

They looked at several specific frequencies for the effect and although they didn't optimize it... we are going to try to.

We have schematics for a device that uses this phenomena. We are going to launch a kickstarter soon, once the prototype is finished (which will probably happen when I return.)

1whoknox

I started using binaural beats therapy app from the android market on my phone again. Hopeful to get results soon.

I randomly become lucid in dreams nowadays. I haven't been able to lock down exactly how I do it. Sometimes I just realize I'm dreaming. Most times I cannot remember my dreams anymore. Other times I do remember the dream but do not remember being lucid.

walt willis

Our brains are receiving new programs every day from outside information as well as from our own selves, even when we sleep.

The mind is just a complex computer that can be formed and reformed.

The Montauk chair is one example of how our thoughts may be viewed and manipulated.

I think that by now we have a way to add, remove, and change memories with a simple head transducer device.

northwoods

I started using binaural beats therapy app from the android market on my phone again. Hopeful to get results soon.

I randomly become lucid in dreams nowadays. I haven't been able to lock down exactly how I do it. Sometimes I just realize I'm dreaming. Most times I cannot remember my dreams anymore. Other times I do remember the dream but do not remember being lucid.
I am curious as well, this sounds interesting