The Presence of Death

Wee

Have you ever been with a loved one when they passed on? Whether it be a family member, friend, or (if you're a health care worker) patient. I am curious to find out if anyone has had any unexplained experiences or "feelings" being around a person who is or has passed on. As a health care worker, I have had many experiences with patients. It is a feeling I cannot quite explain.

The other day, a patient came into the unit after cardiac arresting. The EMS team brought him back; however, it was unclear how long his heart had stopped. His eyes were locked and bulging, which is a clear sign of brain death. He had been in an out of hospitals for the past two months. The doctor had to confront the family that no matter what we could do for him, he was going to die. They made the decision to make him comfort measures after Lifenet reviewed him for organ donation. I went into his room to right down his vitals, and felt this presence. The room had an aura to it. Even though his eyes were bulging, a tube was shoved down his throat, and his breathing was guppied, I felt a sense of peace and comfort. It was a feeling so light and loving. His family had not yet come to be with him in his final hours. I was compelled to hold his hand, and say a prayer for him that he passed on without confusion and without fear. He died shortly after.

I cannot say the peaceful energy is present with all who are dying. There is always a presence, but sometimes it is very strange.

My grandfather died in 2007 very quickly, although I knew it was going to happen.

My grandfather had a terrible stroke 7 years before. He died, but was resuscitated. In 2007, a week before he died, I had this terrible feeling that something bad was going to happen. He had been to the doctor and my mom assured me that he had a "touch of pneumonia, not serious, he has his antibiotics"....well I somehow knew that something else was wrong. And I told her "I have a bad bad feeling."

I had a heart-to-heart as I prayed that night. I remember every word. I said, "Lord, I know you are going to take him from me. I feel it. He has suffered enough. If you are going to take him from me, please do it quickly. Do not let him suffer. He is a man that deserves dignity."

The day he died (Before it happened), I was feeling very ill that day. I was very tired, felt run down, and just sick. I thought, "Great, I'm probably getting the flu." I ate some chicken noodle soup, had a 2 hour nap before my night shift, and felt completely rejuvenated. It was like I was a brand new person. Five minutes later I received a call from my mom who was barely audible through the tears she couldn't fight. She told me my grandfather had just died. The phone was shaking in my hand, and all I could ask was "How?", trying hard to not to cry. She said, "Your grandmother said he felt sick all day. She made him some chicken noodle soup, he took a nap, and passed away."
I dropped the phone and lost it completely. My mother's boyfriend at the time drove me to my grandmothers. I knew what I had experienced was God and my grandfather letting me know he was okay.

Has anyone had any experiences related?

Martelis

I happen to be the "death handler" of my family because I have no fear of death and remain calm and decisive. I have been in the room as many different people died. Friends and family. For me, it is always powerful, but different every time. There are a few commonalities. Such as seeing and/or speaking to unseen beings in the room. I sense their presence but can't see or ascertain who or what they are. Another is an incredible feeling of doubt at the very end. I get the impression that whether they die "peacefully" in their sleep, or struggle to hold on, their is nothing easy about your Soul leaving your body. Though I do believe that after the fact, any trauma from the experience is appreciated for the purpose it serves.

Wee

It is the most indescribable feeling. Sometimes I will feel an overwhelming amount of energy that is fear, sometimes it can be very calm and peaceful, but the energy is always intense, yet different.
For some reason, with people in my family I know when someone is going to pass before it happens. I knew my grandfather was going to pass after my mom had simply told me "He has a touch of pneumonia, he will be fine" ...but I just knew he wouldn't be. I said my prayers, and asked God to take him quickly, he has suffered long enough....and He did. He passed very quickly in his own home, beside my grandmother. I went to their house after it happened, and he was still laying in the floor with an intubation tube in his mouth, which I could barely stand the sight of. The presence in the room was thick, and with worry. I think my grandfather stayed behind awhile to keep an eye on my grandmother because his passing was so quick.

Our family dog, Smokey, who lived well past his 10 year pug life, was becoming ill. (A dog that never has run away) he escaped the house around Christmas time at 13 years old. He has breathing problems, he's old, and it was snowing. We thought he was dead or someone picked him up. We called the shelter everyday, and they called us back on the last day they were going to hold him. We got him back. His health seemed to peak, which we found odd. He was jumping, running, and genuinely happy to be home. A month later he started getting sick again. His energy was declining, and he seemed to have trouble breathing. I knew he didn't have much longer, but my mom was/is so attached to him, she struggled with putting him down, and did not want to make that decision (despite the fact we both have been in health care a long time, it is still never easy when it is your family to make that kind of decision).

The next day I came home from working, and the little pug figurine we had to honor our dog had been pulled from the mantle and sat on the table. No one had been home all day...so I was puzzled by this. I was going to reach for it when it randomly flew off the table onto the floor...I looked at smokey, and knew he was going to not be with us tomorrow. I put the little pug figurine back on the mantle.

The next morning, I told mom she needed to take him to the vet and to be prepared for anything. I kissed him and hugged him goodbye. I just knew he wouldn't be coming home. I got a call from my very tearful and heartbroken mother that smokey had passed in her arms while waiting in the examination room at the vet. He put his little paw on her arm, his breathing slowed down as she held him, he lifted his head on her hand, and he passed. He made the decision for her, and was right where he wanted to be the last day of his life. He knew. I knew. The house that evening was charged with energy. I felt a charge of a happy aura. When we were eating dinner, my mom and I heard what sounded like smokey snorting (he is a pug, he snorts) near the table. I think it was his way of letting us know he was okay.