The Time Traveler Test

kurisu

I wonder if he went so far off in the divergence if a different reality not simply historically but, physically could have happened. Maybe if he went far enough out there would be magic or something like that in another line.

Another outstanding insight. Is it possible to travel to a world line that is so different that the known physical laws no longer hold sway? What would happen to our time traveler friend in such an event?

I would think it would be a one way ticket then once you enter your stuck? Or maybe you would be stuck in some type of void in the process of trying to enter the world?

Sand Grain

Switching your shoes does not create a new timeline. Going "back" in time and changing an event that had already occurred would be an example of a new timeline. You go out wearing 2 black shoes... then go "back" and do it wearing 2 brown shoes... that would be a new timeline. Going "forward" to see the result of an event and then going "back" and engaging in the event is not a new timeline.
But, most importantly, I do not concede the existence of alternate timelines. There is no scientific evidence that they exist. There is no experiment to test for their existence. This "one timeline" in which we exist is evident. Everything that occurs, occurs in this timeline and once it has occurred, there is no undoing it. There is no reset button in life. There are no respawn sites. Alternate timelines, and the belief that everything that can happen will happen, is nothing more than an attempt at avoiding the moral consequences of the decisions we make in life. Like-it-or-not, you will have to answer for your decisions. Try this defense in court: "Yes Your Honor, the victim is dead in this timeline but, in an infinite number of other timelines, he is alive and well".
What if someone gave you the chance to see for yourself that you are very wrong about your ideas of reality and time? Would you make excuses for not being apart of it or would you close your eyes and take the dive into the unknown?