Think You Could Live on Mars? Think Again!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A new analysis of Mars One's plans to colonize the Red Planet finds that the explorers would begin dying within 68 days of touching down

Hear that? That’s the sound of 200,000 reservations being reconsidered. Two hundred thousand is the announced number of intrepid folks who signed up last year for the chance to be among the first Earthlings to colonize Mars, with flights beginning as early as 2024. The catch: the trips will be one way, as in no return ticket, as in farewell friends, family, charbroiled steaks and vodka martinis, to say nothing of such everyday luxuries as modern hospitals and, you know, breathable air.

But the settlers in Jamestown weren’t exactly volunteering for a weekend in Aspen either, and in both cases, the compensations—being the first people on a distant shore—seemed attractive enough. Now, however, the Mars plan seems to have run into a teensy snag. According to a new analysis by a team of grad students at MIT, the new arrivals would begin dying within just 68 days of touching down.

The organizers of the burn-your-boats expedition is a group called Mars One, headed by Bas Lansdorp, a Dutch entrepreneur and mechanical engineer. As Lansdorp sees things, habitat modules and other hardware would be sent to the Red Planet in advance of any astronauts, who would arrive in four-person crews at two-year intervals—when Mars and Earth make their closest approach, which holds the outbound journey to a brief (relatively speaking) eight months. The crew-selection process would be part of (yes) a sponsored reality show, which would ensure a steady flow of cash—and since the settlers would grow their own food onsite, there would be little to carry along with them. All that would keep the overall cost of the project to a shoestring (relative again) $6 billion.

Read more:
Mars Colonists Would Die Within 68 Days, MIT Paper Suggests

MIT Analysis:
http://web.mit.edu/sydneydo/Public/Mars%20One%20Feasibility%20Analysis%20IAC14.pdf

Num7

Administrator
Staff
You got less than 68 days to pick up a wild alien chick on Mars.

On a more serious note, are you really surprised to read such a report? I'm not. Seriously, it's a very dangerous missions that obviously puts your life at high risk. If something fails, no matter what, you won't get any help in months.

Justinian

But you would go down in history as someone famous. Get to be buried at Arlington cemetary. I'd do it. I applied and was denied. Only engineers they said no matter how much experience I have.

Justinian

I'm sure there will be a water recycling system that will reuse the grey water. Solids will probably be frozen somehow and ejected into space. Just my guess. Drinking water might come in other forms. Maybe they have something that won't take up as much space and still get them the same thing as water would do?

HDRKID

Radiation levels would make it hard to survive on mars. There are many problems, lack of oxygen in mars air is one. Probably the greatest problem is lack of cohesion of in a group. Most need to read on:

Ernest Shackleton

63% of wealthy parents make their children read two or more non-fiction books a month versus 3% of our poor.