Time Travel and Crime Solving

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I see this concept in 2 distinct ways.

The first is the prevention of crime. Do you remember the movie Minority Report? Again, on the subject of ethics, my question is whether it's okay to arrest someone for a crime they haven't yet committed. How do you know for sure that it was going to be done?

How do you come up with a technology and a science that's reliable enough so that you can be 100% sure that the person is going to commit a crime? We are not talking about 99.99% here. It has to be a flat-out 100%.

As a side note about the movie, despite all the technology and gadgets, they still relied on people and dreams to predict crimes, which was pretty cool. Can people and dreams be trusted? That's a very good question!

The second way of looking at it would be the use of time travel as a means of prevention of crimes that have taken place in the past.

I know, paradox... But beyond that, where does that lead? Does it lead to the idea of the pursuit of a "perfect" time line? A timeline in which no crime has ever happened? Perfect, here, is pretty subjective. As usual, it would mean, some kind of perfect, according to those in charge.

I wonder. What kind of dystopia would such a world be? Maybe it would work. Maybe it would be a nice place. But you know... There's always trouble in paradise...

What do you think about these ideas? And the ethical dilemmas they create?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I don't think it will ever be possible. We have freedom of choice. And quantum mechanics experiments show both choices exist. So how would you track a consciousness that only made the murder choice. The murdered still lives!

In the show Constellation, Bud Caldera was convicted of a crime he didn't commit. Linear timelines do not exist. We all experience a zig zag path through time.

MODAT7

A minimal paradox solution would be to use a chronovisor, but that seems to have some subjectivity problems, too.

The Mandela Effect shows us that the past isn't as linear and consistent as it should be.