Time Travel and Environmental Conservation

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Let's consider this idea: Going back in time to retrieve specimens of extinct species. Would that be ethical?

Survival of the fittest. Nature designed certain species to survive and others not. Well, does that just mean that those species weren't meant to go on? So it would be against the natural course of nature to try to bring them back?

There would also be risks, wouldn't there? Imagine bringing back a dangerous, extinct species of saber-toothed tiger. How do you know that they won't multiply at an exponential rate and start eating all the other animals in the wild? It would work the same way with ancient plants. What if we unleashed a plant from the distant past that started killing everything we grew? It's dangerous, right?

This brings up the concept: If something like bringing back extinct animals from the distant past were to happen, should it be done in a very controlled way? Should these animals only be collected to obtain their DNA? And not released into the wild to repopulate their species?

What do you think? Would that be ethical and okay to do?

MODAT7

That's why the better companies do DNA testing with GMO deep in caves that are highly isolated. Vermin, bugs, or mold are more likely to cause mass environmental damage if they're not checked. Saber toothed cats would probably have a taste for human flesh.

Mayhem

Zenith
If this took off then some would want humans saved via changes before death wouldnt that be a branch off scenario?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
it would appear that these folks are hard at it to do just that with a wooly mammoth

More than 10,000 years have passed since woolly mammoths roamed the planet, and a group of scientists wants to use gene editing technology to resurrect the long-lost creatures. A start-up named Colossal announced yesterday that they have secured funding that could bring thousands of woolly mammoths back to Siberia.

8thsinner

I'm not so sure our ethics have anything to do with this idea, the scientists getting funded don't tent to have ethics, or if they do they don't get hired in the first place...Which brings me to the point that humanity isn't ready for something like that whether it's ethical or not, we aren't a unified species, in fact we're the furthest thing from it and because of this any progress made in this field would be weaponized regardless. Every digital piece of evolution is used to track us, our dna has been collected since the 60's and biology weaponized and patented against us since what late eightys, ninety's...

Bring back a sabertooth though and I doubt it would be going after humans, have you seen what most of them eat? sharks take one bite and spit out the rest...they would more likely go after deer, coyote or fox, maybe bears if there were any.

I doubt they could mutate any mammoth dna back to life, law of genesis...though in saying that if they only have 15 million in funding they might just have raised it themselves so maybe it could lead to some other revelations in how dna works. Then again, they haven't done anything positive or beneficial with gene editing yet so I would never and do not support such work.

Now, all that aside, speaking from a larger picture perspective. Would it be ethical in a civilized and mature and unified society?
I would say yes, but then I think it would also be unnecessary. Species already do drop in and out of existence, and in my opinion when they are meant to, although it's mostly only been observed with smaller life forms like plants. If there would be a good reason for something to come back then it would.

If it was possible to work around the law of genesis, which I know for a fact that it is, then it is only possible when higher souls would agree to incarnate into it. And that will never happen until we are unified in a larger way and it serves Gaia to do so.

Beholder

Dinosaurs were not really given a fair chance, because the just got unlucky. Evolution is however about adapting to the constantly changing environment and other species, so many of them would not have their favorite food anymore, just some mango fruits and such that survived.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Bringing animals back only to live in a cage or a lab is definitely wrong, IMHO. And they are extinct because the current environment isn't proper for them, so releasing them into the wild wouldn't help them one bit. We shouldn't play God.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Dinosaurs were not really given a fair chance, because the just got unlucky. Evolution is however about adapting to the constantly changing environment and other species, so many of them would not have their favorite food anymore, just some mango fruits and such that survived.

Not all of them were wiped out, though. Birds. Turkeys. Alligators. Many remained and evolved. And you are correct. We've chopped down all the vegetation, so free roaming dinosaurs would starve.