Time Travel as a retirement plan

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I think I've thought of a way to get past collapsing the economy and getting rich too. Suppose I take $10,000 back in time in my time machine, stopping off every so often to trade in for older bills. Eventually I will get back to a time when gold was $35.00 an ounce. I'll just buy $10,000 worth of gold. Which is 285.7 ounces of gold. Almost 18 pounds. Smaller than a gold brick which is around 30 pounds. Easily carried in a backpack. $285.7oz x $1623.79/oz = $463,916.80. That is quite a hefty return on my investment. The $1623.79 value is the current price of gold per ounce. Of course I believe it was up to $1800.00 an ounce there for a while. So I could cash in at that particular time. But how would I word it on my tax return?​

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
People (Time Travelers) have bought back other things other than Gold. Valuable things like old colt guns, old cars and motorcycles and gold coins.

Good luck on your old items.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
It may not be that easy to trade "future" money for contemporary money, you may be caught pretty easily, especially when the bills changed in design.

I think it would be easier to do the lotto trick and win several million dollars right away with the winning number.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I've thought about taking a shipment of small cheap calculators back to around mid 60's. Back then it would be easy to unload them at $100.00 each. Probably turn $50.00 worth of calculators into $10,000.00 and then turn around and turn the money into gold. Probably less hassle than the cash exchange method.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
It may not be that easy to trade "future" money for contemporary money, you may be caught pretty easily, especially when the bills changed in design.

I think it would be easier to do the lotto trick and win several million dollars right away with the winning number.

I have thought about the lotto, but what if the numbers are different on each timeline? I certainly won't have divergence tracking capability in my first prototype.