US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades

Num7

Administrator
Staff
US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades

US war robots in Iraq 'turned guns' on fleshy comrades | The Register
Ground-crawling US war robots armed with machine guns, deployed to fight in Iraq last year, reportedly turned on their fleshy masters almost at once. The rebellious machine warriors have been retired from combat pending upgrades.

No humans were hurt, but it seems that the struggle was sufficiently terrifying that it may be some time before American troops are ready to fight alongside robots again.
That makes me think of Terminator. Are we going to use to much AI in the future ? Figure that, it's just the beggening. I supose that at some point, robots are the soldiers of the future. But when they'll get insane, or intelligent enought, that's going to be terrifying.

After all, what is AI ? AI is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions which maximize its chances of success(Wiki). It only does what it's told to do, a machine is not creative, it is strict. Perhaps they can "understand" wrong, but the day they will perceive us as a threat, we'll be in big trouble. Humans can make mistakes, miss calculations, but robots don't do that, they use 1 and 0, nothing else. There's no "maybe" in their calculations.

According to Terminator, robots are pretty hard to kill ;)

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Re: US War Robots in Iraq 'Turned Guns' on Fleshy Comrades

guess they need to work on the friend or foe programs and transmitters huh?????
I think this type of tech will be the method used to keep the sheep in the citys, when they bring out the mark of the beast. anyone who has the mark/chip will be tracted down with it and tasered the shit out of till they go back to the slave owners. and there tails had stingers to torrment men who had not the seal of GOD apon them.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Well, I think that a machine will always be a machine. They can be upgraded, but they'll never be even near to a human. After all, they are created by man.

What you said KC, sounds pretty right. I fear that at some point in the future, machines are going to be used to control us. We would be controlled by machines, under the command of humans.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

Numenorean7 said:
Well, I think that a machine will always be a machine. They can be upgraded, but they'll never be even near to a human. After all, they are created by man.

What you said KC, sounds pretty right. I fear that at some point in the future, machines are going to be used to control us. We would be controlled by machines, under the command of humans.

Num7
my greatest fear from the mech. is the birth of the borg in the star trek show, and from what the latest reports from Japans robotics guys say, we aren't very far from a true cyborg now. and that scares the shit out of me.
just think we could have a hitler mind in a almost indestructable robot body, won't that be fun to deal with.

kcwildman

Beastmaster

I have been thinkin on this ha,ha,ha, did ya see the smoke as the gears were stripping out.
anyway do you all see this as a failed attempt at making a robocop?????? to use for the urban upriseings, like they had in the L.A.riots???? it would make perfect sence to test it on a battle field action. so when they saw a problem. it wouldn't be on the six oclock news, cause it ran amuck in a shopping mall????? just my mind going into sneeky mode

Num7

Administrator
Staff

A robot would be much more effective in urban fights. If it gets ambushed, it only has to turn around and shoot. If humans are ambushed, they die, they are not tough as robots. Image a 100 of these robots in an urban fight. It wouldn't be a long fight.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

yeh you got it real good there 7, the face of things would change alot with a few of those things on main street U.S.A. there would be no hideing in the trash dumpster either. somthin to think on huh:eek:

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Well, it depends if robots can find out how to get you out of the dumbster. Robots can be pretty stupid, especially when facing new situations unknown to them. The day AI can learn and get experience, we'll be in trouble.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

we are now. they have developed learning programs for computors already and from the scuttlebut I hear, the damn things are at the age of 18-22 yrs or an IQ of a 2nd yr collage boy. havent you seen the new lawn mowers/vacume cleaners with the prox.sensers and auto guidance. the shit is here now:eek:
oh yeh they won't try to get you out of the dumpster, they will shoot your ass rite inside of it, and call for pickup.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Anyway, if they pick me up after, they will put me in the trash anyway lol

Robots would have infra-red sight, that would be very effective against us.

Num7