VGL thread

paradox404

I just wanted to start a thread discussing the VGL from John and Alexanders Machines.

Why can't John/Alexander Temporal travel at will?
They technically can, but the reason they don't it to do with their divergence values. For several reasons, the longer they stay in a Worldline, the more information the VGL can gather. Each change they make changes their point of origin's relation to them.

The reason they wait until the "Temporal weather" is correct is, again, related to divergence values. Each change has some sort of quantumly measurable effect, as such, the outcome of such an event (Major Divergence Point) gives them enough data to return home to their own Worldline. Remember how Titor had to wait until 9/11 to leave.

Why would they use organic processors?
Simply because organic processors can handle certain calculations better and more efficiently. To put this into perspective, the human brain can handle conversation, motor movement and many other things naturally, however even the most powerful supercomputers on the planet have trouble understanding speech, despite having clockspeeds several powers higher. (If you pardon the pun.)

Also, Neurons prove to be a good choice for paralell processing, this can technically be seen in modern silicon chips, with the amount of cores on high end models such as the GTX-780 being around 2700 cores at several hundred MegaHertz, giving it a theoretical clock speed in excess of 1THz, however almost all silicon cores are the same. The disadvantage of the Powerful silicon chips is that they, as mentioned, don't have any true logic, this means that they can be told "do this to get from point a to b" but cannot respond to anything othernp than what they have been thought/"learned". The organic CPU cores are all unique, and this gives them the ability to be alive, and solve problems outside their programming.

If anyone else has any ideas on the VGL, feel free to post them even if they contrast my veiws. (My opinion on the VGL is currently only theory.)

IroncladMarshmallow

My phone can understand speech, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Even the human brain takes years to develop the ability to speak and understand speech. As for learning, it can be accomplished through algorithms and lots of data storage & processing.

Have you considered other reasons why a time traveler must wait for departure? Space flights have certain ideal launch windows, for example. Or it could be as mundane as a plane waiting for air traffic control to give the all clear to make sure they don't crash into other planes or time travelers.

paradox404

IroncladMarshmallcannot st: 86695 said:
My phone can understand speech, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Even the human brain takes years to develop the ability to speak and understand speech. As for learning, it can be accomplished through algorithms and lots of data storage & processing.

Have you considered other reasons why a time traveler must wait for departure? Space flights have certain ideal launch windows, for example. Or it could be as mundane as a plane waiting for air traffic control to give the all clear to make sure they don't crash into other planes or time travelers.

Actually a mobile phone cannot natively understand human speech, all cores on silicon chips are the same, snd the phone will seem intelegent because of speech recognition software, functions and algarithims that have been finetuned to attempt to give an intelegent responce. Silicon chips rely on the software to learn because they cannot themselves, it has really only been possible to emulate intelligence, in things such as the IBM Watson and poor grade hobby AI (I have written an AI before). What I'm saying is Organic processors can take the learning to the hardware, truly learning themselves and possibly allowing the first truly sentient computers. Most AI's around today are Top-Down, rather than the more realistic Down-Up approach, with the latter requiring proccesing power the average computer simply doesn't have, a phone wouldn't have anywhere near the necessary specifications to run one.

Yes I have thought of other situations that would cause them to wait for a launch window, but the one I mentioned seems more likely. And if you read I actually did reference a launch window, namely being 9/11 and requiring info on divergence points to make it home. Personally I doubt they should have to wait for a traffic signal, especially on a dual singularity machine, as one singularity locks onto the target and then other steers, so technically there wouldn't always be a connection to 2036, and considering the Time Machine had only been invented in 2034, I doubt a communication interface was high on their list of neccesities.