Why is our worldline so special?

lev

Originally posted by Cornelia@Oct 27 2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome Quantum,
if you're obsessed with JT, well... you're in the right place!
We were all deadly obsessed with the story when we discovered it, but this forum helped us a lot to trasform the obsession... ehm... into a chronical one you can cope with!? :lol:

Anyway, if the timelines are only slighly different from one another, this means there's another timeline where JT came here but, let's say, he met different persons. Then another timeline where he \"landed\" in Europe. Then another timeline where... so on.

But I've found another paradox on JT story: if he told the truth (wars, nukes etc) then it means he will become VERY famous next years. And if he will be so famous, he should have known about himself before leaving 2036. :D'oh:

Thoughts?

::.. Making it virtually impossible for him to be THE Time Traveller to go back from our worldline ..::.. That idea has been hashed to no end ..::

Judge Bean

Originally posted by lev+Oct 27 2004, 03:01 PM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Cornelia@Oct 27 2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome Quantum,
if you're obsessed with JT, well... you're in the right place!
We were all deadly obsessed with the story when we discovered it, but this forum helped us a lot to trasform the obsession... ehm... into a chronical one you can cope with!? :lol:

Anyway, if the timelines are only slighly different from one another, this means there's another timeline where JT came here but, let's say, he met different persons. Then another timeline where he "landed" in Europe. Then another timeline where... so on.

But I've found another paradox on JT story: if he told the truth (wars, nukes etc) then it means he will become VERY famous next years. And if he will be so famous, he should have known about himself before leaving 2036. :D'oh:

Thoughts?

::.. Making it virtually impossible for him to be THE Time Traveller to go back from our worldline ..::.. That idea has been hashed to no end ..::
[snapback]13231[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Well, not quite so hashed, actually.

The questions may be answered by thinking of the "present" moment as the point from which any number of alternate potential timelines can branch-- perhaps even some, according to some theories, that proceed "backwards," that is, a bizarre reverse timeline. The element in common in the divergent lines is nothing other than the present moment; and each is nothing but potential. To go back to a point before something happens does nothing more than recreate the potential, such that it may not, and probably won't, be repeated.

That is why Titor, if he becomes a celebrity, will most probably not make the trip to the past, and why he cannot meet his future self (something oddly not mentioned much in the forum) by "returning" to the future. If he comes here and waits for thirty years, he will see his current child self grow into an adult in a new and unpredictable future, which we will work to guarantee doesn't include a holocaust.

lev

:: hash ::

::.. A dish of chopped meat, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables, usually browned.

::.. A jumble; a hodgepodge.
::.. Informal. A mess: made a hash of the project.
::.. A reworking or restatement of already familiar material.
::.. To chop into pieces; mince.
::.. Informal. To make a mess of; mangle.
::.. Informal. To discuss carefully; review: hash over future plans; hash out a solution.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by lev@Oct 27 2004, 04:06 PM
:: hash ::

::.. A dish of chopped meat, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables, usually browned.

::.. A jumble; a hodgepodge.
::.. Informal. A mess: made a hash of the project.
::.. A reworking or restatement of already familiar material.
::.. To chop into pieces; mince.
::.. Informal. To make a mess of; mangle.
::.. Informal. To discuss carefully; review: hash over future plans; hash out a solution.

Is my hash now settled?

StarLord

What about the Golden 2%? If that claim is true, then titor would never make it home, the exact line he left from, would he?

I like the theory about Chronical Obsession :)

Do we get Durkees Mustard with that Hash?

The_Ruffneck

Ruffneck,

Titor was gone before 9/11, and never mentioned it in any of his vague "predictions." Are you talking about Y2K not happening here?

Cary
[/quote]

Yo Cary , yeah i dunno what i was thinking , i had been drinking at the time.... :ninja:
but yeah where did Titor say this was a special worldline anyhow? surely every worldline is special in it's own way

QuantumCowgirl

During his travels, JT would be totally absent from his original worldline, right? Anyway, yes, I don't understand how he can get back to the exact point of origin, if the government were to send him on the 1975 mission... Whatever he did in 1975 might alter the course of other histories but never touch the 2036 present that government is living in. I think. ######.

StarLord

Thats the whole point. When they manufactured this story, they forgot to extrapolate their theories back the other way. The story alludes to the 2% difference which in one respect is an umbrella. On the other side it's a hangman's noose because the logic points to a dead end, ie that poor guy could never get back to his own starting point because of that divergence.

If they had swallowed their pride and let the Japanese build the damn thing, we would have never had to deal with that 2% nonsense in the beginning.

pauli

If they had swallowed their pride and let the Japanese build the damn thing, we would have never had to deal with that 2% nonsense in the beginning.

Too funny Starlord! :lol:

Welcome QuantumCowgirl - to the threads of the perpetually obsessed. ;)

Fringan

Originally posted by QuantumCowgirl@Oct 27 2004, 01:49 AM
Has anyone thought about how amazingly unlikely it would be that a time traveler would end up on our \"worldline,\" as JT calls them, out of an infinite number of places to land in time? I suppose that, though JT claims to be among a very small number of time travelers from his worldline in 2036, it's possible that an infinite number of time travelers exists nonetheless--i.e., a few from each worldline that exists at 2030 and onward... Is my logic shaky here? I'm just saying, if WE have the chance to stop a nuke war in 2015, but we're the only worldline that gets the memo, well, a) We're damn lucky. and B) Why us? and c) The idea itself seems to make JT's claims less plausible.? :D'oh:

Hello QuantumCowgirl!

According to my own theory of how a multiverse would work there would be ALOT of John Titors traveling from his own worldline to another - possibly even an infinite number of John Titors.
Also, in a multiverse we should never consider "time" to travel in a straight line from past to present and on to the future (in a single universe this is possible even though it's not nessecarily true).

I don't think anything anyone does "creates" a new universe. I believe a multiverse would consist of a huge number of "freeze frames", all possible configurations of energy and matter and "time" would be the jump for one frame to another valid frame (allowed frames to jump to would be one that followes the laws of nature so that matter won't appear to teleport around to us :) )
For time travel to be possible all "frames" have to exist all at the same time. No frames can be created or destroyed simply because all possible configurations have to be there, otherwise you could only travel forward in time only after you traveled backwards since the future hadn't been created, right? :)

This would mean theres millions and millions of universe frames through which timelines rush and thats only the ones where your body exists. The closest a frame could come to another would be two indentical universes except for perhaps one sub atomic particle in one of the universe were one millimeter closer to earth than in the other... something like that :)

Oh well, thats how i picture multiverse but I'm sure there are other theories. However, I'm not saying I believe this is true there could just aswell be just one universe with time rushing in just one direction but hey, who knows (actually noone does :) )