Are we alone in the universe?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe ?

so do you think that we were created to look like them??????
or are we a new creature all together,
or a hybrid of them and somthin ells.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

It's hard to tell.
In the Bible they say God created us to look like him.
If you was going to create a new race, would you make them look a little different ?
I think I would make something different instead of creating something that looks like me.

kcwildman

Beastmaster

yes in the image and likeness of GOD. but by what means HE did it is a mistery??
was it like when HE destroyed the men with a flood???used rain that time. or when HE destroyed sodome???? used fire from heaven/ brimstone(normally comes from volcanos) that time. created the BIBLE???? used the hands of men. what/who or by what means HE chose to use to create man is not realy made clear. it could very well have been GOD inspired ET's hands used to create man we just don't realy know.

Harte

The fact that we are not alone in the universe in no way indicates that life on Earth came from somewhere else.

Harte

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Harte said:
The fact that we are not alone in the universe in no way indicates that life on Earth came from somewhere else.

Harte
It doesn't indicate that life on Earth was created/born here neither.

If all life came from Earth, it might explain why ETs are so interested by our activities. Considering that ETs actually know life is originally from Earth.

Num7

Harte

Numenorean7 said:
It doesn't indicate that life on Earth was created/born here neither.

If all life came from Earth, it might explain why ETs are so interested by our activities. Considering that ETs actually know life is originally from Earth.
Num7
The presence of life on Earth in no way indicates that Earth is the origin of all life.

I believe it's been shown that there is a high degree of probability that life could be an inevitable result of natural chemical processes.

Put that together with the unexpectedly huge number of planets being discovered - practically everywhere we look - and it makes some sense to say that the universe teems with life - but that doesn't mean it all came from one place - not at all.

Harte

gonzogirl

Yeah no doubt and there are lots of probabilities. I think that if life here on earth was created here on earth(whether from GOD or not) than the same process could have and probably did happen on other planets. But that they are too far away to contact or travel to. One thing that I want to see in my life time is a being from another planet. Could look like any thing!
What if the other planet is mostly under water? We could see intelligent life such as ourselves that look so different....( Im thinking Creature from the Black Lagoon):rolleyes:

Num7

Administrator
Staff

We can't possibly be the most evolved specie in the galaxy.

Earth and life existed long before humans.
It took a long time to get life here, and it took also a long time to get an intelligent being on this planet.
So if we consider it was the same thing on a number of other worlds, then there could be some pretty advanced civs out there.
But, we don't know what kind of tech they have, or if they can travel between solar systems to reach us, or anyother distant world.

The question is: What kind of interest can they have for us ? Why would they be interested to contact us ?

Num7

Tyler

Personally, I don't believe in any gods so the Bible argument is moot for me.

Due to the sheer amount of stars in the universe, there is certainly life elsewhere.

There are anywhere from 200 Billion to 400 B. stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, so I'll estimate it to 300 B. stars. There are estimated to be 100 B. galaxies in the observable universe. Let's also guess that every galaxy has about the same number of stars (unlikely, but go with it)

Let's give a very low probability of chance that a star has a planet that is able to form life, say one in every million stars. While the real statistic is probably much higher, I'll go low just to be safe.

Now let's say one in a half a million planets form life. Given the current known information about abiogenesis, that's again a very low estimate to complement the data. On one in every half a million planets with life, the inhabitants evolve into creatures with intelligence. Judging by the current Theory of Evolution, this is yet again a very low estimate.

That all comes out to 120,000 intelligent civilizations in the known universe. While the input numbers should be much higher, I went low to be on the safe side.

So, according to my probabilities, we are certainly not alone in the universe

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Hey Tyler, long time no see :)

I'm thinking the same way as you do.

The probabilities are very very low, but the number of galaxies, stars and planets si so HUGE that it makes the result of these calculations pretty big. With the big amount of stuff in the universe, and thinking this way, it's almost sure that somewhere out there, something is waiting to be discovered, something alive.

The prob. might be even bigger, imagine if we ever find that there is (there's been) life on Mars. It would be our first planet to check for life, and we would find it there, wow.

Num7