Faster than light?

Dr Zaius

Actually, it wouldn't.
And that's exactly why the speed of light is considered a limit.
No matter what reference frame you're in, it measures the same.
Object B would appear to be traveling away from you at the speed of light.
At such high speeds, velocities don't add the way they do in our normal, everyday experience.

Harte
What will happen if both guns are facing each other and we are sitting on object A . Object A and B are going towards each other both with speed of light , and both are going to collide .
What we will see before collision ? What will actually happen ? Any time dilation ? Please explain .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
I would think that if we assume the object can withstand the speed of light, both objects would appear to stop just before they reached lightspeed. One of the things that the hadron collider is doing is pushing particles close to lightspeed to determine the answer to this very question. The reason I find the study of faster than light radio waves so fascinating is that no one really knows much about what happens at these speeds. Understand, however, that pushing a wave is one thing, pushing something that has mass at these speeds is (to my knowledge) entirely different and untested.

Harte

Actually, it wouldn't.
And that's exactly why the speed of light is considered a limit.
No matter what reference frame you're in, it measures the same.
Object B would appear to be traveling away from you at the speed of light.
At such high speeds, velocities don't add the way they do in our normal, everyday experience.

Harte
What will happen if both guns are facing each other and we are sitting on object A . Object A and B are going towards each other both with speed of light , and both are going to collide .
What we will see before collision ? What will actually happen ? Any time dilation ? Please explain .

According to your clock (riding on the bullet,) you will approach the other bullet at the speed of light - what that means regarding what you would see is that it would be very little. You'd be turned to ash by the ambient light in front of you that was blue-shifted into the gamma range.

Harte

Harte

I would think that if we assume the object can withstand the speed of light, both objects would appear to stop just before they reached lightspeed. One of the things that the hadron collider is doing is pushing particles close to lightspeed to determine the answer to this very question. The reason I find the study of faster than light radio waves so fascinating is that no one really knows much about what happens at these speeds. Understand, however, that pushing a wave is one thing, pushing something that has mass at these speeds is (to my knowledge) entirely different and untested.
The traveler's clock stops, not his motion.
And you don't have to think of light as a wave.

You're right, though. Any object with a rest mass becomes very problematic, reaching infinite mass at c. Infinite mass is enough to drag the rest of the universe with you.

Harte

rishivashista13

According to your clock (riding on the bullet,) you will approach the other bullet at the speed of light - what that means regarding what you would see is that it would be very little. You'd be turned to ash by the ambient light in front of you that was blue-shifted into the gamma range.

Harte
Why dont I approach at 2× speed of light ? As A and B both are moving at speed of light towards each other .
Is there any time dilation ?

Harte

Because light speed is the speed limit for the universe, no matter what your own velocity is when you measure it.
You go past that, you're not in the universe anymore.
Velocity addition
The formula in the above link actually applies at any velocity, but at "normal" velocities, the difference is so small as to be undetectable and Newton's method serves more than well enough.

Harte

Harte

If there was a readable clock on each bullet, and they were synched with a clock the observer had, then the observer would witness the clock on both bullets freeze when the bullets reached the speed of light, just as the bullets exited the universe.

rishivashista13

If there was a readable clock on each bullet, and they were synched with a clock the observer had, then the observer would witness the clock on both bullets freeze when the bullets reached the speed of light, just as the bullets exited the universe.
What is the meaning of , exited from universe ? Where will it go ? In this scenario will collision occer ? As everything has exited the universe .

Harte

Where would they go?
Not here.
At the speed of light, both bullets would (from our point of view) assume infinite mass. Wherever they went, they'd probably pull the entire universe there.
At the speed of light, both bullets would (from our point of view) stretch in the direction of their velocity into an infinitely thin thread, and then be gone.
Best we can do to answer those questions.
Assuming, of course, that somehow the bullets were protected from the gamma radiation I mentioned, which would atomize them well before they reached c.

Harte

rishivashista13

Where would they go?
Not here.
At the speed of light, both bullets would (from our point of view) assume infinite mass. Wherever they went, they'd probably pull the entire universe there.
At the speed of light, both bullets would (from our point of view) stretch in the direction of their velocity into an infinitely thin thread, and then be gone.
Best we can do to answer those questions.
Assuming, of course, that somehow the bullets were protected from the gamma radiation I mentioned, which would atomize them well before they reached c.

Harte
That's look Intresting ! ☺
Now , if both bullets approaching at 80% C each , towards each other we are on A going towards B .
Will we see B approaching at us by 160%C ?? Or some time dilation ? Or some other thing ?
Will collision takes place ? How ?
What you think