head transplant

Wind7

Staff
Hi Paula Jedi:
It sounds like something out of a science fiction movie. Next, there will be a brain in a jar. :eek:

Hi Time Flipper:
What can we say on that surgeon. He always had a great HEAD on his shoulders! Well, that's what his mom says.

happy_orange_sun4.gif

Brain in a jar -- very creepy and not fun for the person INSIDE the jar. Perhaps they could create some type of liquid oxygen. I don't know, but assuming our conciousness lies inside our brain, who would want to spend eternity in a jar?

This reminds me of Captain Jack aka Face of Bo (Doctor Who). He evolved into this:

View attachment 2893

Who would want to live that way?

Anyway, if one person volunteers for a head transplant in the name of science, more may follow.

Great minds think alike...I was thinking the same thing
right down to the Captain/Face of Bo scenario. :)

Wind7

Staff
MV5BODI0NTQ1ODUwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzU0ODgwNzE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

^^^ One of my favorite series of B-Movies ever!

Never in my wildest thoughts did I ever think I would live long enough
to see someone actually considering this to become a reality.

:confused:

Wind7

Staff
What will be interesting is if after the transplant, the patient wakes up with the consciousness from the body.

I've always assumed consciousness lies in our brain. But who really knows? I just think the brain will go into complete shock with totally new connections. It might die instantly.

It's totally un-charted territory, (not taking into consideration the monkey experiments)
taking a human head and transplanting it onto another different body.
So, the patient is kept in an induced coma for 30+ days...What if rejection happens?

Insanity?
Dual consciousness ?
Neurological disorders / Dystonia ?
................??

The list is endless.

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
What will be interesting is if after the transplant, the patient wakes up with the consciousness from the body.

I've always assumed consciousness lies in our brain. But who really knows? I just think the brain will go into complete shock with totally new connections. It might die instantly.

It's totally un-charted territory, (not taking into consideration the monkey experiments)
So, the patient is kept in an induced coma for 30+ days...What if rejection happens?

Insanity?
Dual consciousness ?
................??

The list is endless.

He may remain in a coma or die as well. It's a huge, HUGE risk. I personally believe that many would die before the procedure was ever perfected. If they did survive, they would have to go through a lot of rehabilitation, learning how to walk again and maybe even talk. The connections are new. Brain must be retrained. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I don't see much hope for this. I can imagine there may be some public opposition. If the operation is a success. Old folks may start shooting young folks in the head and demand a transplant.

Wind7

Staff

Insanity?
Dual consciousness ?
................??

The list is endless.

He may remain in a coma or die as well. It's a huge, HUGE risk. I personally believe that many would die before the procedure was ever perfected. If they did survive, they would have to go through a lot of rehabilitation, learning how to walk again and maybe even talk. The connections are new. Brain must be retrained. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Oh, you are certainly not wrong.
Imagine all the nerve endings as well as the spinal cord not to mention the spine itself...all being severed then
re-attatched?

Imagine all the probabilities that could go wrong. In spinal surgery if the spinal cord so happened to be nicked,
the patient could possibly awaken with extreme neuropathy or permanent loss of mobility.

It's beyond my thoughts on this subject to think what this man, the receptor of a different body could actually be put through should he survive.

I'm not usually this negative but with all the unanswered spinal cord injuries/repairs why are we not seeing more walk away after injury...yet,
along comes a claim such as head
re-attatchment?

Uh...OK.

:cautious::confused:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Insanity?
Dual consciousness ?
................??

The list is endless.

Oh, you are certainly not wrong.
Imagine all the nerve endings as well as the spinal cord not to mention the spine itself...all being severed then
re-attatched?

Imagine all the probabilities that could go wrong. In spinal surgery if the spinal cord so happened to be nicked,
the patient could possibly awaken with extreme neuropathy or permanent loss of mobility.

It's beyond my thoughts on this subject to think what this man, the receptor of a different body could actually be put through should he survive.

I'm not usually this negative but with all the unanswered spinal cord injuries/repairs why are we not seeing more walk away after injury...yet,
along comes a claim such as head
re-attatchment?

Uh...OK.

:cautious::confused:

And the pain. I bet it would be too intense.
I don't know who would want to go through this.

@Snake Plissken Yeah, AFTER his death, not before!!!