Help! HDR electromagnet output?

volur

hi,

has anyone tried to hook up a speaker into the electromagnet output?
i wonder what is the frequency output: is it pulsed DC just one frequency or is it white noise?

Steven said it creates an unlimited amount of white light which is the same as white noise.

if anybody has the HDR can you please verify?

thanks!

chevron694

Unlimited white light? Haha. I don't know about a luminous but I wouldn't hook a speaker to the output. Mostly do to the fact when I look at the schematics there really isn't much between the 120 voltage from the mains and the output to drop the voltage other then the three pots and the resistance from the inductive loads which are the coils. The output voltage is proabaly a higher voltage than the speaker is rated for which could damage the speaker. Plus, the speaker has a much lower inductance then Steve's electromagnet. Has anyone ever put a DMM on the output of the HDR to measure the output voltage or current? Has anyone put an inductance meter on the coil?

As for sound, well white noise is a bit ambiguous. White noise is just randoms siginals having different intensity at diffrent frequencies. The HDR is generating a pretty constant output signal unless you have a lot of harmonics on your mains.

If your looking to make noise and wanted to connect a speaker I suggest put a resistor in line or audio transformer to step down the voltage and not turning on the "AMP". Again, looking at the schematic it dosen't put the smoothing Capacitor in circuit for the output. I imagen it may make a consistent low hum varying slightly depending on how you play with the potentiometers.

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

Unlimited white light? Haha. I don't know about a luminous but I wouldn't hook a speaker to the output. Mostly do to the fact when I look at the schematics there really isn't much between the 120 voltage from the mains and the output to drop the voltage other then the three pots and the resistance from the inductive loads which are the coils. The output voltage is proabaly a higher voltage than the speaker is rated for which could damage the speaker. Plus, the speaker has a much lower inductance then Steve's electromagnet. Has anyone ever put a DMM on the output of the HDR to measure the output voltage or current? Has anyone put an inductance meter on the coil?

As for sound, well white noise is a bit ambiguous. White noise is just randoms siginals having different intensity at diffrent frequencies. The HDR is generating a pretty constant output signal unless you have a lot of harmonics on your mains.

If your looking to make noise and wanted to connect a speaker I suggest put a resistor in line or audio transformer to step down the voltage and not turning on the "AMP". Again, looking at the schematic it dosen't put the smoothing Capacitor in circuit for the output. I imagen it may make a consistent low hum varying slightly depending on how you play with the potentiometers.

Yes, the chance of the 120 volts blowing up a basic 8 ohm loudspeaker for example, is extremely high!! :eek::LOL:..
I noticed you chose the Signal Processing explanation for White Noise which is, just random signals having equal (not different) intensity at different frequencies, "giving it a constant power spectral density"..

In my day we chose another explanation for White Noise....It is the range of Human Hearing, which is generally from 20 cycles per second, upto 20,000 cycles per second, with every frequency having an equal intensity.....White Noise was first used as an "acoustic weapon" some years back when allegedly, black helicopters containing 1000 watt audio amplifiers each with a set of speakers, fired blasts of pulsed White Noise at student demonstrators, which would quickly disorientate them, and also seriously damage some ear drums!...

It was also alleged that MK Ultra used White Noise on people...Firstly to disorientate, and then to place hypnotic commands into their minds which would only be triggered from a telephone call, so that when the subject picked up the phone, the first thing they would hear would be the White noise....Mark Chapman was allegedly and randomly chosen to assassinate John Lennon, via a hypnotic command being placed into his mind...

Going back to the 120 volts and the low sounding hum from a speaker...I believe that would only occur from the 50 or 60 cycle mains frequency, because the power station distributors have lots of filtering to prevent any higher oscillations from occurring :)..

Last edited:

chevron694

Yes, the chance of the 120 volts blowing up a basic 8 ohm loudspeaker for example, is extremely high!! :eek::LOL:..
I noticed you chose the Signal Processing explanation for White Noise which is, just random signals having equal (not different) intensity at different frequencies, "giving it a constant power spectral density"..

In my day we chose another explanation for White Noise....It is the range of Human Hearing, which is generally from 20 cycles per second, upto 20,000 cycles per second, with every frequency having an equal intensity.....White Noise was first used as an "acoustic weapon" some years back when allegedly, black helicopters containing 1000 watt audio amplifiers each with a set of speakers, fired blasts of pulsed White Noise at student demonstrators, which would quickly disorientate them, and also seriously damage some ear drums!...

It was also alleged that MK Ultra used White Noise on people...Firstly to disorientate, and then to place hypnotic commands into their minds which would only be triggered from a telephone call, so that when the subject picked up the phone, the first thing they would hear would be the White noise....Mark Chapman was allegedly and randomly chosen to assassinate John Lennon, via a hypnotic command being placed into his mind...

Going back to the 120 volts and the low sounding hum from a speaker...I believe that would only occur from the 50 or 60 cycle mains frequency, because the power station distributors have lots of filtering to prevent any higher oscillations from occurring :)..
I don't know about all that other stuff about white noise. But, I think we can agree it could potentially damage the speaker. All those inductors in circuit and potentiometers would act as filters and can alter the 60 cycles from the mains. But that dosen't really matter because of the stange full brigde rectifer with extra diodes will just rectifer it out any change in frequency. When I say harmonics on the line I mean from other applications on the mains circuit like all the switch mode power supply every uses for phones they make a lot of interference or something to monkey with the power factor like you have a bunch of motors somewhere.

TimeFlipper

I don't know about all that other stuff about white noise. But, I think we can agree it could potentially damage the speaker. All those inductors in circuit and potentiometers would act as filters and can alter the 60 cycles from the mains. But that dosen't really matter because of the stange full brigde rectifer with extra diodes will just rectifer it out any change in frequency. When I say harmonics on the line I mean from other applications on the mains circuit like all the switch mode power supply every uses for phones they make a lot of interference or something to monkey with the power factor like you have a bunch of motors somewhere.

Any sounds or noises along with the necessary intensity could blow up a basic 8 ohm loudspeaker...