Debate How would you perpetrate the perfect hoax?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What are the most reliable, failproof ingredients that can make a hoax pass the test of time? We're talking about years and years of people debating and scratching their head in wonder.

Is it about not telling too much?

Is it about being super vague and general in the info you post?

Was it easier 20 years ago when Internet was still a new thing? In other words, have we seen them all?

What's your take on it? What would you be careful to avoid and what would you definitely do to perpetrate the perfect hoax?

Carl Miller

If it had been easier to perpetrate a hoax in the past

It is getting harder and harder to perpetrate the so called 'perfect hoax'.
It was mind blowing the explosion Snowden provoked on the internet by disclosing the threat behind people vicious way in revealing their personal life and so becoming susceptible in having their lives scrutinized by secret agencies. He caused a considerable commotion.
Once again the popularization of the internet brought about the popularization of science activities and studies.
Obviously the access to scientif info has been brought into general and common use, only an interested individual has to do is googling what he needs to know.
The vulgarization of knowledge worked as a catalyst which in Chemistry is a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction, likewise reliable info has sped up knowledge in different fields of human affairs, and knowledge is power.
Such catalyst 'substance' has provided capability to scrutize and to judge events correctly using the lens of logic.
The individual become less easily influenced by a false flag, for instance, and also by collective hoaxes who definitely defies logic.

Last edited:

gizi agresta

do you have a sample of hoax you are thinking of?

my understanding is that it would be based on the willingness of a person or group to believe in tandem with the viability of the hoax. if we consider fake news in the realm of a hoax, you have the perfect mixture of an existing divisive rhetoric and people willing to believe extreme points of view and pass it on with little to no clarification.

if its a more fanciful hoax like the loch ness monster, between google maps and photographic technology i feel that soft space in the imagination that was reserved for the existence of monsters has been largely vanished.

it made me think of the response the orson welles's reading of war of the worlds vs the y2k hysteria. i know neither of those were intended as hoaxes but more of what they represented in terms of where our cultural fear is situated and what seems tangible, believable at a certain time period.

Last edited:

Carl Miller

do you a sample of hoax you are thinking of?

my understanding is that it would be based on the willingness of a person or group to believe in tandem with the viability of the hoax. if we consider fake news in the realm of a hoax, you have the perfect mixture of an existing divisive rhetoric and people willing to believe extreme points of view and pass it on with little to no clarification.

if its a more fanciful hoax like the loch ness monster, between google maps and photographic technology i feel that soft space in the imagination that was reserved for the existence of monsters has been largely vanished.

it made me think of the response the orson welles's reading of war of the worlds vs the y2k hysteria. i know neither of those were intended as hoaxes but more of what they represented in terms of where are cultural fear is situated and what seems tangible, believable.

I was thinking of the hoaxes regarding cold Reading and the debunking of false mediums and psychics. Also it may apply to the lock ness monster hoax since technology of sonar has probed into the lake and disclosed the inexistence of any monsters. I was relating to collective hoaxes perpetrated by false flags so much discussed on the internet.
I just do not like to be more specific cause my intention in giving my opinion is not advocating any idealism or philosophy, pros or cons.
There is also the possibility your question is not addressed to me in particular. This case overlook my answer or consider it as a feedback to your comment.

gizi agresta

do you a sample of hoax you are thinking of?

it made me think of the response the orson welles's reading of war of the worlds vs the y2k hysteria. i know neither of those were intended as hoaxes but more of what they represented in terms of where are cultural fear is situated and what seems tangible, believable.

I was thinking of the hoaxes regarding cold Reading and the debunking of false mediums and psychics. Also it may apply to the lock ness monster hoax since technology of sonar has probed into the lake and disclosed the inexistence of any monsters. I was relating to collective hoaxes perpetrated by false flags so much discussed on the internet.
I just do not like to be more specific cause my intention in giving my opinion is not advocating any idealism or philosophy, pros or cons.
There is also the possibility your question is not addressed to me in particular. This case overlook my answer or consider it as a feedback to your comment.
I was just putting it out there generally because I tend to more easily wrap my head around an idea that has an example.

I totally agree with you on technology being able to debunk hoaxes quickly. Are you further saying we as humans have evolved to be less sensitive to certain kinds of hoaxes as well?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Would you consider John Titor as a good sample? Not saying it's a hoax, but it's potentially one...

Sadly, I don't know / remember enough of the details to judge whether it can be considered a potential rock solid hoax or not... But I think it's a good one, again, if it's a hoax.

Carl Miller

Would you consider John Titor as a good sample? Not saying it's a hoax, but it's potentially one...

Sadly, I don't know / remember enough of the details to judge whether it can be considered a potential rock solid hoax or not... But I think it's a good one, again, if it's a hoax.
My take on the issue has to do to the ancient astronaut theory. The future of
civilization has already unfolded thoroughly.
The egyptian culture portraited in stone the nuclear war in which Rama's Vimanas chased his enemies' fortress and finally wiped them away off the face of the Earth.
I do not believe Titor's claims were dismissed as a hoax. My take is that Titor came from the past and not from the future.
Since humanity has been the same in its competitive nature the resulting story of civilizations that come and go is alike.
Like Titor other extraordinary characters also claimed to have predicted the future exactly for having come from the future.
They speak the truth or at least the half truth= actually they have come from the potential future; but never (in my opinion from the actual future). The actual truth can be changed in its details. Although most contradictory =apparrently negating what i just suggested= the actual truth seems to almost coincide to the potential future since humanity has not gone through a profound change in its ways and persists in treading its way towards its destruction.
It needs A transformation Strong enough to alter humanity shifting from its instrinsic bellic nature into a more pacific one.
Civilization has ended many times through natural disasters and technology directed to warfare purposes.
Marabharata is an ancient book describing the high technology of a lost civilization. "gods" fighting on their anti gravitational crafts: Rama, Krishna, Ardjuna..
The Bible describes how two pervert cities are wiped off out of the face of the Earth through nuclear bombs.
And Abhraham his wife Sarah and family among other were chosen to survive the man made cataclism to come. Persisting the same stream of thought we remember Reading how angels descended from the sky to protect Abhraham's house to be insidiously invaded by people from Sodoma's populace. 'Angels without wings' bearing heavy guns, this is what we can see according to the Bible.

Again, the chose ones were instructed to seek protection in caves into the rocks of huge mountains. By whom? THE ANGELS!
Why? Everyone knows how to do in case of nuclear explosions today.
Nostradamus foresaw ' the future' as he got access to the true history of humanity since the constructions of Pyramids 10 million years BC!

Now we are foreseeing a volcanic eruption near on the Atlantic Ocean, close to the Spanish coast. The Earth sliding from the explosion will produce huge waves of 500 meters high from the spot point increasing its high to 2 kms as it reaches Porto Rico in its highest amplitude. The Caribbean, Florida, Brazilian Northern Coast decreasing as waves get shorter and shorter as they reach down to Rio de Janeiro City.

The natural cycles are recurrent and that is how future can be foreseen. The Ebb and flow. The coming and going of civilizations obey the same framework while humanity goes on following its destructive path.

Last edited:

gizi agresta

perhaps that is the perfect hoax then! titor does feel like a modern loch ness monster to some degree at least on the surface.

Last edited: