Is it worthwhile?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Is it worthwhile?

Last night I was thinking about some of the people who devote some, most or all of their lives to the study new-age and paranormal subjects.

Many of these people postulate that the purpose for our current physical forms here on Earth is so we can learn... Something. Whether it's to love or discover inner peace or any number of feel good pursuits.

If our existence here is akin to being in school, wouldn't it then follow that trying to catch a glimpse into the realities beyond this one are basically the same as a pupil trying to sneak into the faculty lounge?

Why expend the energy looking for answers when we're supposed to be busy learning our lesson?

Maybe I'm way off or my theory is missing some important aspect. Just an idea though.

Keroscene

Re: Is it worthwhile?

I guess it depends on how people use that information. What's the harm in simply knowing or wanting to know? We never knew certain things existed before the microscope. But like anything it can be used for bad or good. I really don't see the harm in wanting to know the meaning of our existence. Why wouldn't that be part of the overall lesson?

StarLord

What of the "Other" classroom, the Dream State? ~As Above, So Below~ kind of concept.

If I'm not mistaken, as we experience, our knowledge grows, our perceptions change, broaden and we become more aware. Have your dreams changed due to a significant experience here?

My father recently passed and the dream state has changed drastically for me, symbols coming closer to tangible, easier to recognize meaning behind the experience there and bringing a workable concept back that makes sense here.

In a very large "school" did they not use to have all grades in one place, 1st graders attending the same school as Seniors? Though the 1st graders would ramble about, how much of it made sense to them until they got "there", to that specific grade/level?

Chip Lewis

Last night I was thinking about some of the people who devote some, most or all of their lives to the study new-age and paranormal subjects.

Many of these people postulate that the purpose for our current physical forms here on Earth is so we can learn... Something. Whether it's to love or discover inner peace or any number of feel good pursuits.

If our existence here is akin to being in school, wouldn't it then follow that trying to catch a glimpse into the realities beyond this one are basically the same as a pupil trying to sneak into the faculty lounge?

Why expend the energy looking for answers when we're supposed to be busy learning our lesson?

Maybe I'm way off or my theory is missing some important aspect. Just an idea though.

Those who delve into the paranormal and find the answers are the in the gifted class. I'd think that any entities watching this all play out would be impressed with the rats that can escape the maze. Ps Sorry to hear about your Father SL. :(

StarLord

Thank you very kindly Chip! Pops heated the "home" with a passion, (during the micro times he was observably lucid) it was the best thing for him to pass. Not much quality of life in one of those places. The cost is obscene. $7,000 to $8,000 a month.

StarLord

"Why expend the energy looking for answers when we're supposed to be busy learning our lesson?"

it might be interesting to consider that we are actually looking for the right question because we may very well already have all the answers. The right question helps to separate the answer from all the other noise if I can use that analogy. It's like asking a 70 yr old a technical question concerning a trade he worked at for 50 yrs. The question leads him to a specific spot.

Serious doubt leads to serious inspection which if dwelt with long enough leads to the beginning of understanding which causes us to replace the doubt with information based on what ever is produced by the searching.

The looking is part and parcel of the learning and is never a waste of energy imho.

Chip,

I don't think anyone is "gifted" any more or less than another. I think it boils down to how long they been out hunting for answers / on the path.

Whitelight

I think it's human to want to know more. And heck, if I'm interested in something and there is money in it, may as well do that for work right?

JasperMoon

ANY knowledge gained, whether it is true or showing you how false something is IS worthwhile. This is what education is all about, to gain as much knowledge as we can so we can balance the true with the false and figure out for ourselves what is right and what isn't.

StarLord

And on how gullible they are.

Harte

That depends on many things Harte. There's a lot to be said about falling for ideas without doing the homework, swallowing something wholesale at it's face value and the difference between that and actively going out of your way to disprove a concept, doing the homework.

It's easy to call gullible on something that has the window dressing of New Age. Remember, back in yours and my day the place was called an "Occult Book Store"? that always cracks me up. You know, the place where they sell Black Candles, dried bats, spell, potions and discarded wizard hats. Surprisingly enough, they tended to sell a tad more than that. Sure liked the hats though.

From a purely academic stance, and the fact that you are an educator, strong mathematical leanings, correct? If I'm not mistaken there are many ways to prove a theorem. The higher the math could it be said that the possible avenues for proving something mathematically become greater? Many ways to skin a cat as it were, unless it's Schrodinger's and had just been joy riding with that celestial hooligan, his partner Obiwan and Titor.

It has occurred to me that at some time soon in the future, Physics, Metaphysics and the Grand Father of underlying principles of this Universe are going to hit smack dab at a three way fork in the road and continue on. All of them are joined in some fashion as all of them share the same thing, Energy. Thought is Energy. Observing quantum events effects them? (Depends on which eye you lend to what guess/theory ) The following is a good read:http://www.ask.com/bar?q=quantum+ev...zcVUWBk4/zv4iy8qqw/lNFuc= &tsp=1279815728239

Where's ALL the Anti Matter from the Big Bang that should be here? Hmmm Morph did it?

How do we know that thought does not effect both Dark Energy and Dark Mass?

In Science's mad rush to dissect the atom into all of the possible God Particles in hopes the Higgs Boson rears it's happy head, I can't help but be reminded of a similarity of hurling people at high speed at each other and somehow be left with all the components except the animating force called life and the consciousness, the driver, that goes with it. As a whole it works while rendering it past a certain physical state, it's no longer working. Body's are funny like that. Would it be possible that the Higgs Boson only exists while everything is connected as a whole?

Who in their right "mind" would want to drive a smashed body? Everybody knows without being told you ain't making french toast if the body you supposed to be driving just done been converted into smitherinees.

It may just be a safe bet that if the same energy utilized in scoffing at what seems to be new age concepts (which may very well be thousands of years old), was used in actively researching Metaphysics as IF it was a true branch of science instead of a platform for manifesting guffaws, why them white frocked boyos might just come up with a few things real after all.

Just like Medicine, unless you are actively testing for and or searching for something specific, the things sitting right next to it are hidden and unobserved. Funny how that works ain't it?