Low carb AND Low Fat

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
All the low carb diets say "Don't worry about fat!" and "your cholesterol will balance itself out".
I have one word for that: NOT.

Maybe I am the exception of the rule. I have been low carb for about a year. Lost about 20 lbs, but hit a major plateau. Can't lose anymore. Also, my doctor told me my cholesterol is on the high side of normal, so I need to keep saturated fat, low. So, there goes the cheese, eggs, nuts, etc.

I track food on an app and it doesn't LOOK like my saturated fat is that bad. It does go above the normal range sometimes, but not grossly. I only have eggs maybe once or twice a week.

So, my question is, am I suppose to eat salad and veggies 24 x 7? Carrots raise blood sugar. I hear that broccoli can cause kidney stones. So, what am I supposed to eat? What foods are super low fat AND low carb? Beans?

Nuts and cheese don't have a lot of saturated fat per serving, but since I graze on them all day, I guess it adds up. I eat beef about 3 times per month. Fish once a week. My diet is mosly chicken and lean pork.

Can exercise alone burn saturated fat? I work now, so getting "workouts" in is impossible. When I come home, I clean and cook. Cleaning is my workout.

Just need ideas. I'm at wit's end. All statistics show that a year of low carb should have made me drop much more weight.... and I'm not supposed to have high cholesterol.

TnWatchdog

Maybe consult with your doctor. I take 40MG Simvastatin, which is inexpensive, to lower my cholesterol...among other medications.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Maybe consult with your doctor. I take 40MG Simvastatin, which is inexpensive, to lower my cholesterol...among other medications.

I'm already on 8 pills and they make me tired all the time. Don't want more pills. :( I'm too young for this!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Have you tried monitoring the amount of fat calories you eat? Don't cut it way back. But a 30% reduction in fat consumption might be all you need to do. I think I recall reading that consuming soluble fiber does help your body remove surplus cholesterol. If not eating greens everyday, try other high fiber containing foods to meet the daily fiber requirement.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Have you tried monitoring the amount of fat calories you eat? Don't cut it way back. But a 30% reduction in fat consumption might be all you need to do. I think I recall reading that consuming soluble fiber does help your body remove surplus cholesterol. If not eating greens everyday, try other high fiber containing foods to meet the daily fiber requirement.

Yes, I do monitor it. I go a little bit over the the recommended amount. Can definitely eat more greens. Oatmeal is said to lower cholesterol, but it's a carb, plus once I took my blood sugar afterwards a while ago and it made it spike up to 140 an hour after eating it. Apparently, oatmeal is not for me. (Used Splenda).

I am considering munching on low sodium turkey instead of cheese all the time. Need to mix it up. A reduction of fat is good advice.

My cholesterol wasn't "too high" but high enough to be a warning. Not fair that I don't eat McDonalds and crap food, but I still have high cholesterol. Sucks!!! Only have steak once a month, too. SIGH.

Dinner tonight - Just spiced, baked chicken and steamed broccoli. Doesn't sound like the diet of a weight struggler. :(

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Here is a couple more tips I discovered along the way. You say you are snacking on cheese and nuts. But are you limiting the cheese and nuts to one serving size a day? That used to be my problem. I found out eating a can of mixed nuts is not supposed to be completely consumed in one sitting.

Also daily protein consumption should NOT be limited to the minimum requirement. I have noticed eating more protein appears to assist in metabolizing more calories than one may normally metabolize. Ones weight plateau may change. Have you ever tried a can of tuna mixed with a bowl of oatmeal?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Here is a couple more tips I discovered along the way. You say you are snacking on cheese and nuts. But are you limiting the cheese and nuts to one serving size a day? That used to be my problem. I found out eating a can of mixed nuts is not supposed to be completely consumed in one sitting.

Also daily protein consumption should NOT be limited to the minimum requirement. I have noticed eating more protein appears to assist in metabolizing more calories than one may normally metabolize. Ones weight plateau may change. Have you ever tried a can of tuna mixed with a bowl of oatmeal?

I do eat more protein than recommended. (Oh, crap, I forgot to buy the turkey at the store. ARGH....)

I do follow serving guidelines. 1-2 servings of nuts per day. I weigh them. I decided on replacing with lowfat, low sugar yogurt and more fruit. I can honestly say I could eat more fruits and veggies. I know these are considered sugars, but moderation is always the key.

Tuna and Oatmeal???? That sounds gross, Einstein!!! I think my cats would eat it!!! Have to watch the sodium in Tuna. I gain water weight the instant I go over the recommended 2000mg a day. I usually have to plan for high sodium meals.

So, perhaps lowering my fat intake and increasing the fruit/veggies will help my plateau. It's a learning process!

I use MyFitnessPal for tracking and an app called Walkmeter that uses my GPS to track calories (shopping, cleaning, walking, especially at work). Although, I find that I seem to eat the same amounts regardless of how much I exercise, tracking it makes me feel better. If I don't track, I am more likely to cheat. It's psychological.

BTW, non-fat half and half makes me sick to my stomach. I read it uses chemicals to replace the fat. Blek.

P.S. When I turn into a sexy super model, I'll have you to thank, Einstein! :D

TimeFlipper

I do eat more protein than recommended. (Oh, crap, I forgot to buy the turkey at the store. ARGH....)

I do follow serving guidelines. 1-2 servings of nuts per day. I weigh them. I decided on replacing with lowfat, low sugar yogurt and more fruit. I can honestly say I could eat more fruits and veggies. I know these are considered sugars, but moderation is always the key.

Tuna and Oatmeal???? That sounds gross, Einstein!!! I think my cats would eat it!!! Have to watch the sodium in Tuna. I gain water weight the instant I go over the recommended 2000mg a day. I usually have to plan for high sodium meals.

So, perhaps lowering my fat intake and increasing the fruit/veggies will help my plateau. It's a learning process!

I use MyFitnessPal for tracking and an app called Walkmeter that uses my GPS to track calories (shopping, cleaning, walking, especially at work). Although, I find that I seem to eat the same amounts regardless of how much I exercise, tracking it makes me feel better. If I don't track, I am more likely to cheat. It's psychological.

BTW, non-fat half and half makes me sick to my stomach. I read it uses chemicals to replace the fat. Blek.

P.S. When I turn into a sexy super model, I'll have you to thank, Einstein! :D
Perhaps i might have to thank Einstein too, when i turn into a super sexy male hunk Paula ::LOL:::D