Officials: US to try to shoot down errant satellite

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Officials: US to try to shoot down errant satellite

So, they're going to shoot down the satellite.

I would like to know what you're thinking about this. I think they might hide us some stuff here. I've read some acticles and forums saying there was maybe some plutonium in the satellite. They say it contains no important data.

Officials: U.S. to try to shoot down errant satellite - CNN.com

Why do they want to shoot it down so much ? Didn't they say it was a spy satellite ? Officially, they said it contains Hydrazine.

Is it the real deal ?

Condar

Re: Officials: U.S. to try to shoot down errant satellite

My take on this whole thing is this: It is a Cold War era Spy Satellite, which may or may not contain Nuclear Warheads. See during the Cold War this little saying came up: MAD, Mutually Assured Destruction. Because if the US gets taken out.. so does the enemy, or in some cases the world. So basically satellites were put into orbit with nukes just in case there was a war and we could not retaliate with our weapons on the surface. After like a day or so without communication the satellites would empty their payload onto targets set before communication was cut off.

So I think this satellite is one of those and they do not want it either to be recovered, or for it to accidentally go off over another country. Thats my take on it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Interesting point Condar. I've tought about the nuke, but not about the fact that it could be from cold war era. Did they say since how many years the satellite was in orbit ?

I think they're waiting the Atlantis space shuttle to get back before destroying the satellite.

Some crazy stuff right there : GLP: The truth about satellite USA-193 - URGENT

This guy talks about berylium being onboard. So there might be a nuke in there. Still interesting.

Num7

Condar

That article you put up there says the sat. is from 2006 so there goes my Cold War Era theory but it doesn't mean that a nuke is not onboard. I still think it most defiantly is something that threatens the us if not the world.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

If there's a nuke onboard, is there any risk of explosion if it hits solid ground ?

I think if it get into the atmosphere, about 50% of the satellite is going to burn, or something like that. Then, the remaining junk is going to crash. I wonder if there's any risk of explosion, even if the nuke is damaged. I mean, the bomb must be well protected inside the sat...

Num7

Condar

Well to what information I know about them, nuclear bombs have fail safes so they will not explode without them being armed. If they are trying to destroy it before it get in atmo, then something is wrong and either their armed and if they do hit will cause an explosion, or theres something else up with it.

Whichever it is, its another government cover-up coming up.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Indeed a cover up, it smelled like that since the begenning!
Atlantis is getting back on Wednesday, let's see what happens next!

Num7

Condar

I hope Atlantis will be aok, cause if another shuttle crashes we can just say bye bye to the space program for another 3 years because everyone would be too afraid to do anything again.