Paradoxes

Mimi

Time paradoxes are actually a lot more complex than the classic... "If I travel back in time and kill my mother/father or grandfather/grandmother then how would have I been born to be able to go back in time to kill him/her if I was never born etc..."

Just as in physics... "Nature abhors a vacuum", it's the same principle... "Time abhors a paradox!"

Physical objects such as gas or liquid will fill in a vacuum, and Time (actually the time-line) will adjust to compensate for, and correct, a paradox.

These compensatory events will not be noticeable by the vast majority, as they are actually part of the paradox resolution events or changes. They will only see events as they have experienced them, even if the actual event had been changed by the paradox resolution because they are, and (to them) have always been part of it.

Only the person who caused the paradox will notice the changes. These changes may be major, like a major world event (like a war or such like) or something trivial like a house being built on a different side of the road or to a different design.

It's a very difficult thing to explain, and even now, after many years, I sill struggle with my understanding of it. And I also worry how much I can say about my discoveries and personal experiences. That's why I've taken so long to write after signing up to this forum.

A person who has the ability to travel in time, whichever way they do it, has a great responsibility to not reveal too much about the future, or the way time travel works, because it could cause a chain of very minor changes that could eventually add up to something much greater a lot further along the time-line.

I know from painful experience, having lost someone very dear to me, after I told another friend about my experiences with one very special friend... A few weeks later, my special friend stopped emailing or writing, and I couldn't find her, even though we had met many times, and after a lot of research, it appears that she never existed in this time line.

So why am I being so mysterious? I must really apologise for that if it appears that I am! I don't intend to. I'm not looking for admiration, wealth, power or anything associated with an "ego trip" kind of thing. I'm just searching and hoping for a greater understanding of what has, to me, been a somewhat confusing and emotionally painful time (pun unintentional).

Mimi

Many things. My emails to her address fail to get delivered and are returned as "no such email address exists". Her street looks different and her house is now occupied by people who have never heard of her, and say that they have lived there for over ten years. No one else in the street can remember her.

I know she existed, as we met many times. Yet no one in this time frame or dimension knows her. These types of event have happened to me many times. I can usually tell, by small observable differences, that I've jumped to a new time line or dimension.

Peaceseeker

Just to be clear, things appearing to change (and the butterfly effect) aren't a paradox. They are just a different outcome and you've found yourself in a different timeline. Paradoxes don't actually exist and aren't a thing.

Bingo ! :) (my way of saying, i agree . )

Peaceseeker

just a thought though, if a person is able to travel, and is trying to figure out how to return to their original time line, their chances of returning home, would be better if they retrace their steps to the very point they began to time travel. my opinion only.

Apri1

just a thought though, if a person is able to travel, and is trying to figure out how to return to their original time line, their chances of returning home, would be better if they retrace their steps to the very point they began to time travel. my opinion only.

See the divergence meter thread. We're discussing (trying to discuss) a way of measuring which timeline you are in, so that you may hopefully return home. But yeah, undoing what you did is a fairly good way of getting approximately back to when you were.

paradox404

Just to be clear, things appearing to change (and the butterfly effect) aren't a paradox. They are just a different outcome and you've found yourself in a different timeline. Paradoxes don't actually exist and aren't a thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself tbh.

But yea my username shows exactly how I feel about paradoxes.

TimeFlipper

The Grandfather Paradox is THE classic Time-Travel Paradox :p :LOL:..