Should we start a Paranormalis Marketplace?

dustin255

Hello,

Another one of my ideas I thought I would like to share. I have been noticing some folks making lots of devices and I thought that after people are done experimenting with them they might want to sell them to gather money for different projects. Because some people are not good at building things and would probably prefer to buy it from someone else already created the device.

TimeFlipper

Nice idea, however the cost of overseas postage can exceed the cost of the components in most cases, therefore it might be better to ask "friends or friends of friends" to build devices for them :)

brian jj

I think this is a great idea. As for spam maybe the forum software could be modified to allow a payment gateway and not having a payment link would prevent this. just off the top of my head

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A section to buy and sell devices isn't a bad idea. I doubt there are that many transactions taking place here though, which is probably why it was never suggested before. I assume buying and selling devices take place in private conversations right now.

Maybe thread prefixes for that purpose can be created. A seller would post a thread about what he's selling and for how much. Questions would be answered in the thread. The deal would be settled in private, and payment method agreed on as well. Money would be sent directly from the buyer to the seller.

There seems to be a few eCommerce modules for Xenforo, our forum software, but I don't think we have enough volume to implement such a solution.

Martian

I'm a little concerned that it would open up the website to legal liability if one of the sellers turned out to be a scammer. Although we've got a pretty good crowd of people here, all it would take is one jerk to ruin it for everybody. Perhaps existing sites like eBay would be more appropriate, since with PayPal they offer buyer protection?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm a little concerned that it would open up the website to legal liability if one of the sellers turned out to be a scammer. Although we've got a pretty good crowd of people here, all it would take is one jerk to ruin it for everybody. Perhaps existing sites like eBay would be more appropriate, since with PayPal they offer buyer protection?
Yeah, who would take responsibility in such a case is a good question. That's why I don't wanna be the middleman in the transaction.

Places like Ebay and Etsy would do the job pretty good too.

The best I can do is provide a place to announce and discuss. Not buy and sell. Which is why I suggested a thread prefix. It would give transaction offers visibility, that's it.

dustin255

Maybe a buying and selling section would be good to separate from regular discussions. We would want 50 post in the regular section because that would annoy people.