The Math is a Lie

TimeFlipper

Mathematics are the very basis of all modern science and society.

It's definitely not something we're used to question! Not unlike religion!
Hmm?
You definitely aren't even an Agnostic then.
Try making that comparison from an Atheist's perspective.
Num7 was only using a comparison between"faith" (religion) and "fact" (math) to make a point..An administrators purpose (Num7) is not to condone or condemn the postings on here, unless there is a complete breakdown of the simple rules that all members are required to follow..:)

The point about religious belief is that it generates a lot of interest and debates amongst the members, Num7 understands there are members like yourself who are atheists and also believers in many different forms of faith, but he will never condone or condemn our members..
Hopefully you will stay around and see for yourself how our members discuss certain aspects of religion, and there are atheists just like yourself on here, who will neither condemn nor condone what is being said on that topic, they can view the postings obviously but they will show respect to the members who believe in religion :)

Respect for each other on Paranormalis is of paramount importance and sometimes things do get a little bit heated lol.:mad::D
In such circumstances an Administrator (Num7) may step in and delete certain paragraphs that may be offensive and disrespectful..
All of us on Paranormalis are really very nice people (including myself :D) and we just want to get along with other members as nicely as possible..:)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What TF says is right.

I'll rephrase what I said.

The "Religion of Mathematics" comment made me think of something. Religion and faith, for some people, is something that is never questioned and sometimes blindly followed in some cases. I personally never questioned mathematics, because aren't maths always right?

In light of that, it makes me feel like I'm kinda blindly following something without questioning it at all.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Mathematics is a language. And there is a promulgated belief that if one is proficient in mathematics, and can describe something mathematically, that it must be true. That is a lie! There is no language immune from liars. And we all know as a society run by liars, that anything expressed mathematically is usually an attempt to cover something up. And as always, most people just blindly believe what they are told.

TimeFlipper

Even a math genius, like Albert Einstein can make a very simple mistake and usually it is corrected by one of his peers..
I could quote a mistake made by Stephen Hawking which was corrected...I dont believe that math is all about lying, that was just a cynical remark on your part Einstein..

Math has proved itself over and over again throughout the whole world, without it we could never build anything or make predictions that invariably are proved to be correct..

But there again, i could be the silly old guy that knows nothing about everything and know something about nothing :D

Last edited:

TnWatchdog

Math is strange as I always think I have more money than I actually do and it will pay more bills than it actually does. Something doesn't add up here so there must be a flaw...but then again, it could be me.

owlcool

Math is strange as I always think I have more money than I actually do and it will pay more bills than it actually does. Something doesn't add up here so there must be a flaw...but then again, it could be me.
That is called being Irresponsible with Money.

owlcool

That is called being Irresponsible with Money.
Ha ha ha
I know exactly how much money I have in my wallet without even having to look, and I mentally keep track of all the money I take out, pick up, or use.
For example: I have about 37 dollars right now(Not Carrying much), Consisting of 2 Five dollar bills, One 20 Dollar Bill, and 3 One Dollar Bills.
I have slightly more then a Quarter worth of change.
That is from memory, Now I will check it.
One Quarter and a Dime, 3 Five Dollar Bills and One 1 Dollar Bill, and One 20 Dollar bill.
I was a Dollar and 10 cents off, if that.

That is actually surprising.

Your Turn?

TnWatchdog

I know exactly how much money I have in my wallet without even having to look, and I mentally keep track of all the money I take out, pick up, or use.
For example: I have about 37 dollars right now(Not Carrying much), Consisting of 2 Five dollar bills, One 20 Dollar Bill, and 3 One Dollar Bills.
I have slightly more then a Quarter worth of change.
That is from memory, Now I will check it.
One Quarter and a Dime, 3 Five Dollar Bills and One 1 Dollar Bill, and One 20 Dollar bill.
I was a Dollar and 10 cents off, if that.

That is actually surprising.

Your Turn?
I'll pass...

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Mathematics is a language. And there is a promulgated belief that if one is proficient in mathematics, and can describe something mathematically, that it must be true. That is a lie! There is no language immune from liars. And we all know as a society run by liars, that anything expressed mathematically is usually an attempt to cover something up. And as always, most people just blindly believe what they are told.

I do agree that one can manipulate math in an effort to falsely prove a theory. There are so many ways to come up with the same answer.