We're all going to die!

What will happen when the Large Hadron Collider is turned on?

• Earth will be destroyed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A black hole will engulf us all.

• The universe will explode

• Nothing

• We'll get smarter

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Open a door to a new dimension.

• Total voters

jurgen36

Re: We're all going to die!

Well the latest news are, as all went very well with the first beam they also started the opposite beam yesterday. Alas at this time at very low power levels. Indications are that after a few small alignments of the supercooled magnets they might go to full power much sooner as expected.
Regards

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I honestly don't see how doing experiments on this scale could cause a black hole... Even if they DID create one, wouldn't it be too tiny to do anything? Black holes are formed when stars super condense, meaning you need a LOT of mass to get something like this started... I just don't see it happening here.

jurgen36

Webnower said:
I honestly don't see how doing experiments on this scale could cause a black hole... Even if they DID create one, wouldn't it be too tiny to do anything? Black holes are formed when stars super condense, meaning you need a LOT of mass to get something like this started... I just don't see it happening here.

Well quite a few scientists say that even mini black holes grab all the matter they can get. Others like Hawkins say's mini black holes will evaporate and still other well known scientists say that black holes do not exist at all. So you can have your pick of opinions.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Can they open a gateway to hell like in Doom and Doom II... ?
I don't need to say what happens then :eek:

jurgen36

Numenorean7 said:
Can they open a gateway to hell like in Doom and Doom II... ?
I don't need to say what happens then :eek:

No, sorry I do not believe in that at all. Actually I do not believe in heaven or in hell, that's just stories to frighten children to make them good girls or boys.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

All right then, I don't think this could happen. If they ever open a gateway to another dimension, I don't think I could do anything. What could it do anyway ?

Harte

The "doorway to another dimension" comes from the idea in string theory that there are 11 dimensions - 10 physical plus the dimension of time.

The other dimensions are speculated as being right here with us like the first three - just curled up real, real tight. So tight that the coils are comparable to the Planck legth.

The LHC might show evidence for the existence of these other 7 physical dimensions - not some "gateway" to the Outer Limits.

Harte

jurgen36

Well something funny did happen at Cern. Look at

http://www.rense.com/general83/IncidentatCERN.pdf

This is written like a satirical comment but it might be much more accurate as people think. I do not for a moment believe that a project of that size had weak points in the structure. There are simply too many engineers and scientists involved which would check each others calculations. Also why did nothing go wrong with a single beam??? It only happened with both beams switched on and actual collisions occurring. Well let us hope for the best, we must not forget that we are in uncharted territory, all the theories they use to evaluate what might happen are only theories after all. Reality might be quite different indeed.
Regards

Harte

I just wanted to chime in here to state that the idea that the LHC is some kind of threat to the world is just silly.

The silliness of this idea, however, takes absolutely nothing away from the grave seriousness and demonstrable factitude of the thread's tiltle! ;)

Harte