What I've Learned about Alligators

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I've been studying gators up close for 2.5 years now and this is what I've learned:

- They can have stranger anxiety
- When they aren't in "food" mode, they are actually chicken shits (I'm guessing it's a brain chemistry thing)
- They do not come out to hunt. They hide and wait.
- They can learn words and commands
- They can "like" or "prefer" even though they don't have a "love" portion of their brain
- They understand pointing, unlike cats.
- They communicate with grunts, growls, whines, and hisses
- They can express disappointment by whimpering
- They respond to the baby alligator sound.
- They can learn their name.
- Not all like to congregate. Some want to be alone and will be very territorial.
- Some are afraid of cats
- They have a second eyelid that they close when underwater
- It is illegal to feed them
- They like to relocate while it's raining
- Gators are misunderstood

TV shows where they are harassing and picking on alligators disgust me. Of course he's going to attack if you poke him and threaten to kill him.
Of course he isn't happy if someone enters his home. Don't you defend your home?

This is Buddy. He's a sweetheart. Been studying and hanging with him.
1629283431450.png

Martian

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing! Never been up close with one of them before, but who knows what the future holds?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing! Never been up close with one of them before, but who knows what the future holds?

Still be careful. This one is young. I don't know how an adult gator would react. Would hate to find out you've been death rolled.

TimeFlipper

Still be careful. This one is young. I don't know how an adult gator would react. Would hate to find out you've been death rolled.
Dont trust Buddy Paula, every gator gives people and other creatures a false sense of security, they have been learning about that long before humans were on the Earth...I would hate to see a photo of Buddy with your legs hanging out of its mouth, and the words written on the photo, never trust those danged gators!! :eek::LOL:..

Last edited:

Harte

I've been studying gators up close for 2.5 years now and this is what I've learned:

- When they aren't in "food" mode, they are actually chicken shits (I'm guessing it's a brain chemistry thing)
- They can "like" or "prefer" even though they don't have a "love" portion of their brain
- Not all like to congregate. Some want to be alone and will be very territorial.

TV shows where they are harassing and picking on alligators disgust me. Of course he's going to attack if you poke him and threaten to kill him.
Of course he isn't happy if someone enters his home. Don't you defend your home?

View attachment 12213
Don't make the same mistake as Grizzly Man.

Harte

lamdo263

View attachment 12213
Paula Jedi said, { They can "like" or "prefer" even though they don't have a "love" portion of their brain }
Lamdo answers, I've read one incident to where a alligator became very amorous towards a pretty female owner. Madly fell in love with her and was also sexually aroused. So getting into the ball park here, they at least have some kind of libido.