When Will Humans Join The Galactic Club?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
When Will Humans Join The Galactic Club?
6 April, 2012

galacticclub.jpg

Most people believe that humans will sooner or later establish open contact with aliens.

When it happens, we might get an invitation to join what scientists and science-fiction writers refer to as the "Galactic Club".

There is also a possibity that advanced extraterrestrial civilizations will not welcome us a new members.

So, naturally we might wonder what criteria will be used to determine whether we will be able to enter the Galactic Club or not.

According to David Schwartzman, a biogeochemist at Howard University in Washington D.C, there is reason not to give up on SETI. Schwartzman thinks aliens are out there, despite the fact that the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) has only found silence. He also outlines what we need to do for planet Earth to be initiated into the Galactic Club.

"Lee J. Rickard and I have put forward a scenario for eventual entrance of Earth into the Galactic Club in our paper published in 1988 (Lee J Rickard is a radio astronomer and I am a biogeochemist).

We proposed that at some future time, our terrestrial civilization might achieve sufficient maturity to proceed with a program to detect so-called leakage radiation – the electromagnetic TV, radio and other broadcast signals that are inadvertently sent out into space (military radars are the strongest, a possible universal signature of a late stage primitive civilization)," says David Schwartzman.

In his scientific paper, David Schwartzman writes: "This proposed program has a critical distinction from virtually all of observational SETI: detecting a targeted beacon from ET requires that they intended to send one.

The absence of evidence it not necessarily evidence of absence, if intention is lacking.

On the other hand, for a relatively short time, primitive civilizations like us leak radio waves to space, unintended signals that we could potentially detect.

The technical requirements for a galaxy-wide search are dictated by the size of the radio telescope, with the detection range proportional to the effective diameter of the telescope.

In large enough radio telescope situated in space could potentially set meaningful upper limits on the rate of emergence of primitive Earth-like civilizations (‘N/L’ in the Drake equation), without ever actually detecting the leakage radiation of even one ET civilization.

alientelescope.jpg

Alien telescopes could use the gravity of stars – using a technique called gravitational microlensing -- to help them view the Earth. Image credit: NASA

But just how big a telescope is required for this project, and at what cost? Our 1988 paper provided such estimates: a dish diameter on the order of 500 kilometers, at a cost of roughly $10 trillion. Perhaps the cost has come down somewhat (but note the estimate was in 1988 dollars). This is surely a project with a vanishingly small chance of implementation in today’s world.

asteoroidbelt.jpg

The asteroid belt is estimated to contain over 1 million asteroids with diameters exceeding one kilometer.

Could an alien probe be hiding among the asteroids, keeping an eye on Earth? Credit: NASA/U. of Arizona

I could only conceive of a demilitarized newly mature planetary civilization, call it Earth-United (Finally!), with any intention of implementing such an ambitious project that has no apparent immediate practical benefits.

Then and only then would we successively detect a message from the Galactic Club (GC), presumably faint enough to be only detectable with a huge radio telescope in space.

On the other hand, the GC may be monitoring biotically-inhabited planets by remote Bracewell probes that have programmed instructions.

Such a probe would plausibly be now hiding in the asteroid belt (as Michael Papagiannis once suggested).

If the GC exists, there was ample time to set up this surveillance system long ago.
Surveillance probes so situated in planetary systems would send welcoming signals to newly mature civilizations, with the potential for a real conversation with artificial intelligence constructed by the GC, if not reconstructed biological entities.

If this proposed surveillance system is absent, we should expect the GC to use highly advanced telescopes to monitor planetary systems that have prospects for the emergence of intelligent life and technical civilizations. These alien telescopes could use gravitational lenses around stars. Planetary system candidates to the GC could expect to receive continuous beacons, but the signals would be very weak or disguised so that they would only be decipherable by newly mature civilizations that just pass the entrance requirements.

The problem with this scenario is there would be a fairly long communication delay with the GC, because they would be so far away. Nevertheless, reception of a rich message from the GC is possible.

The material and/or energy resources needed for these signals to be recognized must correspond with great probability to a newly ripe mature civilization. Hence, cleverness in itself cannot be the criteria for successful detection and decipherment, otherwise a brilliant scientist on a primitive civilization might jump the GC protocol.

galacticclub.jpg

Our world will change completely once we enter the Galactic Club.

I submit that if we want to enter the Galactic Club, the challenge lies in reconstructing our global political economy. A few minor side benefits should result, like no more war, no more poverty, a future for all of humanity’s children with a substantial proportion of biodiversity intact. We should not expect the Galactic Club to save us from ourselves."

Loopi

The Bearded One
Good Post! It'll be interesting to see, if that day happens to come in our life time. I'd think it would be a The Day the Earth Stood Still senario or The zoo hypothesis, If you're not finiliar with the Zoo Hypothesis, you should check out the wiki page it's a different why of thinking about it (Zoo hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

titorite

I think we will be ready when we stop lying to ourselves.... and part of that is setting up some kind of proper governence that we lack right now..... We need something that does not devolve into a tyranny like all the governments of the past have.... With honesty and proper governance then yes we could be star worthy in a minute ..

What busts my chopps is the crop glypths being written in a human language very select and secretive dead languages... Something that insists upon established contact.... of course then theirs the arecebo message.

point being?

Contact is.

And they are more advanced then us but they don't want to eat our brains nor do they seem bent on doing us ill... no it is more like they are present.... they watch us.

You know what else is neat? The magneto hoppers we have now, the rife machines, the infinite ether power sources, and all the wonderful technology that could literally solve all humanity basic necessity issues and propel the wanting into the stars right now...

That is all suppressed because greedy rich fuckers are willing to lie and cheat us all.

For us to be ready, we need to stop lying to ourselves and we need a system of governance that can not fall into tyranny.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I heard about the zoo hypothesis several times, but I never thought about it as actually being what's going on here.

I agree with you Titorite. We can't be ready as long as our govs. cheat on us with our own money. Our governance system is in many way, very primitive isn't it?

BlastTyrant

Sadly the way our civilization is now we're years from joining the Galatic Federation, it's not just our Gov but the citizens as well, our world is filled with Greed,Hate,Liars,Cheaters and all around misstrust and evil. I just read in the news today about a Child being shot while standing outside tryin to sell candy for 25$ and all the guy had no remorse for this. On top of the constant supply of crime and greed our race will never join our brothers in space.

If 2012 happens i believe it to be more of a cleansing of earth, those worthy will asend to the stars while those who wish to kill harm and lie and steal from there brothers will be wiped out, and i do believe this to be the best path cause with our civilization the way it is now we will never fix it our selfs, to many people just dont care or are blind to the way things really are.

Even if the ET's were to show them selfs they know just as well as the rest of us on this forum that they would not be greated with open arms, were fed horror storys of rape and mutilation and fear of slavery by the media and hollywood that has stopped us from reaching the nessisary mental awarness to accept were not alone and there not here to rape and inslave us but to allow us to ascend to reaches never before imagined.

Loopi

The Bearded One
Whats to say they have the same moral standings we do, by our definition of morality . Maybe they think rape is a matter of aggressive mating. There's no telling how we or they will react to our meeting. It's kinda like a Schrodinger's cat. It could go either way... . Whats to say they are not as violent as we are. I mean don't get me wrong I would think being so far advanced, they would be peaceful. But look at a cockroaches... We're more advanced then they are... Ever heard of a cockroach killing 100,000 of it's own kind?

BlastTyrant

From my understanding is they have evolved past the need for most emotional feelings that we have now, so our Fear/hate/anger is beyond them, they think more of a Android kind of way. In almost every report of communication with these beings there reported as talking to us telepathically so i can understand that if they have evolved enough to communicate telepathically that the need for feelings like we have become obsolete.

And i don't see them as being violent if that was the case they could of wiped us out at any point in time including now i'm sure, there reports of us mass firing on there ships and attempting to chase down and fire on them with our jets, a sign of hostility like that i'm sure would of caused them to wipe us out if they were at all hostile.

titorite

I heard about the zoo hypothesis several times, but I never thought about it as actually being what's going on here.

I agree with you Titorite. We can't be ready as long as our govs. cheat on us with our own money. Our governance system is in many way, very primitive isn't it?

I don't think it is a zoo so much as it is a matter of uplift. Like in some David Brin Novels....

Also I consider the possibility that they may be us.. or an earlier version of us that went into space first and for whatever cataclysmic reason stayed there. . . Today we are reaching the point of dumping our mind into computers and of making living computers.... WE ARE THERE. we have only to refine it now.... I am thinking those grays are proly just construct bodies with the minds being uploading into and downloaded out of.

Meh... All I know is that if they wanted too they could kill us..that is not their intents... Altering us... maybe...proly. Seems likely. To what end? maybe to be able to introduce a new mature species to the universe..once it matures.

notoverrated

alot of you seem to think aliens are "past violence" i think it is the opposite from history we have learned civilizations have evolved faster during times of war so i think advance people are also highly skilled in combat and have wars just like we do just on a larger scale.