WICKED MUSHROOM

Carl Miller

A satirical ironic critical version on drugs and their questionable help into solving man's crucial living problems.

The current post is not meant to be controversial. It's just a factual account of something eerie that once happened to me. I was incited by some internet records on drugs that here and there can be found available . It was when I involuntarily ate some psychedelic mushrooms.

To make a better understanding possible readers are addressed to some of my blogs='me', 'It's raining rice', 'Smoking is bad for health' and some others in which they will have a feeble idea of my idiosyncrasies where drugs have never taken part as a valid means to attain any spiritual development.

Now you can imagine how I felt as I involuntarily had those hallucinogenic mushrooms. Guilt-feeling was inevitable although I was not to be blamed. Anger for having been deceived and misled, a fact.

It all began when I felt I might as well buy myself some mushrooms to get the hotel salad better. I've always liked mushrooms and when I am to choose them I make sure they are quite good. That's why I've always chosen them in little glass jugs, always tagged 'eatable'. I've always known we must be careful in picking out the good ones.

I was in New Delhi at that time and decided to go to the market near by so that I could get those mushrooms for my salad. There they were, they looked really great lying on the shelves. They looked great in the surrealist scene put on by the old shop. Elves like puppets on a string hanging from the ceiling completed the scene. They were sort of hovering around above the shelves as if they were little sentries guarding the mushrooms. So I reached out for one of the glass jugs and lifted it onto the counter. Since they weren't tagged and I couldn't tell the good ones and the hallucinogenic apart I asked the man if that one I just put onto the counter was good for eating. He absent-mindedly answered 'yes', 'good'. 'very good'. I was satisfied, the glass jug paid I turned around heading back to the hotel that was only two blocks away from there.

At the dining room I sat and ordered as usual. And when the salad came I felt myself happy to add the mushrooms I had just bought, they seemed so tender, so nice.

Gee! This was the beginning of an ego-trip that I couldn't exorcize off my mind up to the moment. I just can't get over it.

The mushrooms were delicious as I tasted them, but in a while I started to feel myself sort of strange. I just coudn't touch the meal. I had a feeling I had been poisoned. There was really something eerie about the mushrooms. It didn't take me much time to realize I had eaten 'poisonous' mushrooms. I just flew away from the table and hurried my way up the stair heading my room feeling sort of throwing up. The door locked I stood at the window to get some fresh air while I tried to control the panic cause my head was spinning round sort of out of its axis. I knew something was going on and I just couldn't foresee how It would end. Suddenly I realized that perhaps I might had eaten a hallucinogenic kind of mushroom and since my head started to be clear that would not killed me after all. Then it seemed that all I could do was to grin and bear it. Being a complete stranger in that city, having been there in a business trip arranged by the organization I work for making a scene, compromising myself for having taken drugs was completely out of question. I knew in my heart that they necessarily do not kill. Better this way, so I could lose my job if I would be sent to the hospital. My reputation at stake the last thing I needed in this whole wide world was attracting attention and I immediately turned down the idea of calling the hospital.

As soon as the drug really took effect I started hallucinating. Sort of panic, sort of anger with the sale man, kinda fear, a bit of anguish and the social anxiety that grew stronger as i ignored the outcome of all this. An emotional salad, indeed. If only I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. The first thing that occurred to me was that I was losing the sense of having an ego- something, anything that gave me a sense of individuality at all. As I looked at the sky it seemed to have been painted in a terrific denin blue- and tiny snake-like, spring like sparks of light were dancing like crazy falling from the sky like a rain of light. The increasing anger that installed in my mind was jeopardizing the whole experience and I took that vision as a bad omen. While my mind worked furiously to reach an agreement on how to solve the issue to that careless seller. Then I turned my focus to a great number of passer-by. I could see to my astonishment a halo of light surrounding them as if they were all saints, not only around their heads but also around their whole bodies. But not only around people but also around buildings, houses, trees everything showed that odd threatening halo just like a bright circle of light such as seen around the sun and the moon in misty weather.

To cut the long story short, two or three hours later I had come to my senses again, thank the good gods of fortune. I was still standing by the window and that was me as I knew myself. Then as I was recovering my senses and the halo around things no longer existed, it had disappeared as if they had never existed. The sparks of light from the sky had also vanished. Everything had come back to its natural state.

Next day first thing in the morning I was determined to see the man who had sold me the wrong mushrooms. I was full of anger and the man would have to hear a word or two. Then I hurried back to the market to see the man. As I got near I noticed the very man talking to another one in English. But as I burst out complaining for having been misunderstood and misled about the mushrooms the man just made believe he was not making out a word I was saying, that he spoke no English he made it clear through his nods and gestures. My anger increased as I saw he was cheating me once more and I started to make angry gesticulations and hard curses in Italian so that no one could understand me and I could release my anger without compromising me too much. But as a market seems to have a collective mind people understood I had lost my temper and started to form a circle around me and the seller. To get things worse some kids suddenly started to repeatedly whip my back with long light sticks just like Lucas and Anon often does and some people began to curse back in Hindi- that's what I thought. The scene was already made. My legs couldn't help but turning myself around heading myself back to the hotel while I could, the turmoil of different voices banging in my head. I was a little stupefied, the side effect of the drug I think. Things seemed already too unreal to me, It was not happening, too confused. And the group's attitude just amounted to the 'surreal' of the situation plus my own imprecation in Italian that sounded incredibly dramatic among the hell created. A pandemonium, for sure. So my legs took me back to the hotel while I was still infuriated with the seller.

C_jami

I always wanted to try mushrooms but you made me think twice .. :))

Carl Miller

@cJami _
Me wish to know if you have already read any from Carlos Castaneda's books specially a book called 'the teachings of Don Juan'?

Carl Miller

The Shaman character kinda priest is believed to have magical powers, he is also the medicine man known to be and expert on medical plants-that would pick out a specific root of leaf or stem handling them carefully in order to treat any kind of disease.
Responsible for keeping contact with the world of the gods, spirits and demons who would answer and made their feelings known only to the shamans. This is how they've been so revered, so respected, so held in the greatest regard by the tribal society.
On particular occasions the tribe would join together in a clearing by a forest or in the middle of one-and songs all chorused the praise of Gods, choreographed dance, beats of drums the shaman would fall into a trance unaware of anything around him, he would be communicating with the gods and spirits, he would come back soon with a particular answer to a specif problem.
Here once again we can see basic similarities of methodology between the so called 'tribal societies' and our supposed 'civilized one'-one can see there are some obvious parallels between the two cases and the most important one is the fixed pattern of repetition-of chanting mantras, step to take, the ceremonial, the repetitive rites-(most redundant to say that) -it often happens in any one of our churches and temple as well as in the forests like 'savages' usually do.

Castaneda's experience on the peyote as it is described in his books-a sort of a diary in which he would keep an investigative scientific subjective account of his experiments using a spineless cactus native to southwestern Texas and through Mexico-the mescaline. It is used world wide as a supplement to various transcendence practices, including meditation and psychedelic psychotherapy. Peyote has a long history of ritualistic and medicinal use by indigenous Americans and used by Don Juan Carlos' counsellor, teacher and guide into a new world Carlos wished to set out in order to investigate through his own experience into the mysteries of the mind, on how a western mind would function under a more broadminded view of the world provided by the influence of the mescaline.
Though it's been a subjective experience it was clear to the reader the brain would responded in similarly in a fixed pattern to either the mind of the indians and that of any western civilized one . It makes me wonder how one often boasts to be more creative, more intelligent than the 'savages' and how one still cannot realize one had just had one's 'civilized' mind painted in the lacquer of civilization but making use of the same methods the 'savages' did. The apparent differences relying on the fact that we have learned to be more subtle and hypocritical in our judgements, more sophisticated in disguising our emotions. The lymbic part of the brain being equal to our ancestors.

C_jami

I try myself a few drugs in combination with meditation and others .. It didn't bring me any closer to what I was expecting. :).

In regards to Castaneda. I have to be honest is from you I heard about it. I already like his book teaching of Don Juan .. :D

Carl Miller

My interest in Castaneda's investigation resides in the paranormal contents from his experience. He has tried to keep a scientific humble approach to the anthropologic field research he has carried out submitting himself to the whimsical nature of the shamans that for so many times put him in a tight corner because of the cultural barrier that divided the worlds. He struggle hard to built a bridge between different cultures and costumes. Challenges amounted but even so his scientif non emotional standpoint overcame difficulties. He had to envisage also the indigenous viewpoint. I sense it must have been crucial times for him.
Personally i would not have courage enough to embark in such a crazy trip. But you know the adventurous spirit the love of adventure must have overpowered difficulties and trials.
I have no experiences on drugs. Even this supposed story is only a product of an inventive mind.

I have experiences with several drugs, virtually every major drug and psychedelic hallucinogen. Mushrooms are wonderful, certainly not wicked, and brilliant.