BASIC RELAXATION EXERCISE

Choose a quite place where you won't be interupted. Before you start, do a few gentle stretching excerises to relieve muscle tension.

Make yourself comfortable, either sitting or laying down. Start to breath slowly and deeply, in a calm and effortless wayy. Gentle, tense, then relax, each part of your body, starting with your feet and working all the way to your face and head.

As you focus on each area, think of warmth, heaviness, and relaxation. Push any distracting thoughts to the back of yoyr mind and imagine then floating away. Don't try to r elax; simply let go of the tension in your muscles and allow them to become relaxed. Let your mind go empty.(Old Zen technique), Some people find it helpful to visualize a calm, beautiful place such as a garden or meadow.

Stay like t his for about 20 mins., then take some deep breathhs and open your eyes, but stay sitting or laying down for a few momnets before you get up.(Relaxation class I'm taking)

NerdyGilr3

That's a good technique! :) I had a Power Yoga class at college, and that was the kind of relaxation we did use after the exercices. But we were laying down, with socks on, and a blanket to keep our body warm.

Gentle, tense, then relax, each part of your body, starting with your feet and working all the way to your face and head.

As you focus on each area, think of warmth, heaviness, and relaxation. Push any distracting thoughts to the back of yoyr mind and imagine then floating away. Don't try to r elax; simply let go of the tension in your muscles and allow them to become relaxed.

I mostly liked that part of the class, when you think about each part of your body to drop all tensions. My teacher used to describe it as "imagining that each part of you body enters in the floor". It's like becoming really flat, lol. She used to call that the "dead body" position, for obvious reasons. You're completely relaxed, and you have to ignore completely whatever else is happening around you, like sounds, or even if your body is itchy.

What is important, though, like GH mentioned it, is that it's important to have a visualization while relaxing, because some people tend to fall asleep otherwise. (Like me!! :rolleyes:) I prefer to imagine a blue, red and white beach ball, that grows and goes down, at the same time as my breath.

Thanks for sharing, GH!

Doing it nude, outdoors, in the Spring, near a babbling brook is almost as good as ...well...maybe not as good as but darn sure close.:) Thanks for the comment. :)