Building a Time Machine Simulator

TheYear802701

Building a Time Machine Simulator

Hello All.

I would like to build a time machine simulator. Not just a computer simulation, but a full-scale time machine model which will give the "time traveller" the ultimate time travelling experience (just like military flight simulators feel no different than actually flying a real F15).

Any ideas of how to get started on such a project?

Thanks in advance,
Ty802701

StarLord

Re: Building a Time Machine Simulator

I think that all you need is a Telephone Booth and a cool dude names Roofus.
Be sure to take lots of Bubble Gum, something tells me you are going to need it.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I doubt you'll find the resources to make a full scale simulator like they use for flight training and stuff... I remember using an M1A2 Abrams simulator in the army for my training, and they told us those machines cost upwards of several 10s of millions of dollars.

You have to consider your target audience too, because even if YOU were able to make this machine, no one else would be able to use it.

Making a normal computer game would improve your chances of succeeding a great deal.

TheYear802701

I do not have any "target audience". It is a personal, non-commercial project.

And it doesn't need to be as fancy as those multimillion-dollars simulators they have at the military. I want to start with something simple, which can be built with materials and tools you can find in any arts & crafts shop (electronics not included).

For the first version of my "time machine", my requirements are really humble:

1. There must be a full-sized prop in which the "time traveller" can sit in.
2. There must be a control panel inside the "machine", which tells you the current time - which can be changed at will.
3. The machine prop will emit engine sounds when you travel through time.
4. There must be a clock a few feet away from the machine - and this clock must respond to your simulated movements through time.
5. The lighting in the room must adjust itself to your simulated movements through time: Artificial lighting at night, and simulated sunlight (complete with correctg shadows depending on the hour) at daytime.

That's it.

You may be surprised to hear that I already know exactly how to accomplish #2-#5. These special effects are really much easier to produce then they seem, if you have a few spare computers in your house (which I do).

The biggie is goal #1:

I need a material which can be molded and sculpted by a hobbyist like myself, yet strong enough to provide for a stable prop which doesn't break apart every time you open the door...

Any ideas?

happymagilla

I think a dolorean would be cool.....lcd projector shooting on th e windshield.....dont forget the food proccesser on trunk lid....u can even bounce the thing around to make seem like its movin....:)

TheYear802701

Yeah... A delorean will definitely be cool.

But I can'ts afford a real delorean... Any idea of how to build a fake one?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

What you could do is just build a wooden frame, and then cover it in sheet metal or something. Cover it in various wires, LEDs, and anything else you can scrounge up that looks "techy". Got to a junk yard and find some old junky car and rip out the driver's seat, use it for your command chair ;)