Ceramic jars full of emeralds found in temple tied to El Dorado, a mythical city of gold

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Archaeologists in Colombia have found eight ceramic jars, with metallic figurines and emeralds inside, within a temple and its adjacent graves.

The ancient Muisca (also called the Chibcha) crafted the jars called "ofrendatarios" about 600 years ago. The Muisca, a people whose civilization flourished in the region at the time, were famous for their metal-crafting skills, and their work may have inspired the legend of El Dorado — a legendary city made of gold.

Between 1537 and 1540, the Spanish conquered the region, and many of the Muisca were killed during fighting or due to disease. Despite the destruction, the Muisca persevered and thousands of their descendants live on today.

Archaeologists uncovered the temple and graves in the remains of an ancient Muisca town located near Bogotá, the modern-day capital of Colombia. A team led by archaeologist Francisco Correa, an archaeologist who conducts excavations prior to construction work, found the ofrendatarios during excavations that were conducted prior to road construction in the area.

Some of the figurines look like snakes and other animals, while others look more like people with headdresses, staffs and weapons. The temple where the ofrendatarios were found may be related to ancestor worship.

Read more:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
That is really cool. I love evidence of past civilizations. Why can't I find something like that? Sheesh! I think my property was underwater. Or, someone suggested my metal detector sucks, which is possible. ANNNNNND I'm not willing to dig huge holes in my yard. (They'd probably fill with water, anyway).