Civil unrest article found!

Timmy G

this may be considered to contain a bit of unrest.

Is this what happens when you question dub'ya's fortitude?

Dan Rather Steps Down

In the wake of a controversial report, CBS News anchor Dan Rather is stepping down.

Rather plans to give up the anchor desk in March, after 24-years anchoring "CBS Evening News."

A network statement says Rather will continue to work full-time. He'll report for both "60 Minutes" programs, and handle other assignments for the news division.

Rather, 73 years old, has most recently, and notoriously, been embroiled in a scandal over a report questioning the President 's National Guard service record during the Vietnam War--based on allegedly forged documents.

Rather's last day anchoring is the anniversary of the day he took over the job from Walter Cronkite.

Forbes.com article found HERE

Geez, if you can't even raise a question about the man, then :unsure: what...

Darkwolf

No this is what happens when you put forth bad news and get caught at it. I don't think it was his fault, but he was responsible for what he aired, and it cost him his career. It comes from putting a whole lot of egg on his employer's face, and it is that way in any public business.

TheSadGoat

Originally posted by Timmy G@Nov 23 2004, 05:47 PM
this may be considered to contain a bit of unrest.

Dan Rather Steps Down

In the wake of a controversial report, CBS News anchor Dan Rather is stepping down.

That reminded me of an article read about Dan Rather little while back. http://www.guardian.co.uk/bush/story/0,736...,717097,00.html

TheSadGoat

I don't know if this has already been reported and wasn't quite sure where to put it. Ramsey Clark is a former U.S. Attorney General.
George W. Bush Must Answer to the People

- Adapted from Ramsey Clark's address to the half a million demonstrators at the January 18th National March on Washington to Stop the War on Iraq organized by International A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to Stop War & End Racism).

The U.S. Constitution provides the means for preventing George W. Bush from engaging in a war of aggression against Iraq, and from advancing a first strike potentially nuclear preemptive war. It's called impeachment.

High Crimes and Misdemeanors
Impeachment is the direct constitutional means for removing a President, Vice President or other civil officers of the United States who has acted or threatened acts that are serious offenses against the Constitution, its system of government, or the rule of law, or that are conventional crimes of such a serious nature that they would injure the Presidency if there was no removal.

A Constitutional Imperative
Impeachment appears six times in the U.S. Constitution. The Founders weren't concerned with anything more than with impeachment because they had lived under King George III and had in 1776 accused the king of all the things that George W. Bush wants to do: Usurpation of the power of the people; Being above the law; Criminal abuse of authority.

Power Remains in the Hands of the People
Impeachment is the means by which We The People of the United States and our elected representatives in Congress can prevent further crimes by the President and the human catastrophe they threaten and force accountability for crimes committed.

Save the Constitution, the U.N., and Countless Human Lives
Congressional proceedings for impeachment can bring about open, fearless consideration of the most dangerous acts and threats ever committed by an American President. If courageously pursued, they can save our Constitution, the United Nations, the rule of law, the lives of countless people and leave open the possibility of peace on earth.

The Time for Action is Now
Each of us must take a stand on impeachment now, or bear the burden of having failed to speak in this hour of maximum peril.
Here are the links.
http://impeachbush.pephost.org/site/PageSe...VTI_must_answer
http://impeachbush.pephost.org/site/PageSe...me=VTI_articles

CaryP

Personally, I see Rather's retirement as a timed escape from the embarassment of the forged Bush military documents. I don't think it has anything to do with social unrest directly. I would think that someone of Rather's league/ego would want to be in the thick of things if a major upheaval were obviously in progress.

Timescholar,

Thank you my dear, for the article of current events in the Ukraine. Seems these people give a rat's ass that their votes are actually counted correctly, unlike our current complacent countrymen.

SadGoat,

Yes, I've seen Ramsey Clark's calls for W's impeachment. Mr. Clark is a long-term liberal and was instrumental in a number of civil rights developments inside the U.S. govt. I would think that the degredation of civil rights enforcement by the federal govt. has Mr. Clark concerned as well. I'll post an article on this later this morning, with an edit.

I think Mr. Clark has serious grounding for his accusations against the Bush admin. Every second term president since Johnson has suffered at least one major scandal in their second term. (Johnson - Viet Nam escalation, Nixon - resigned over Watergate, Reagan - Iran Contra affair, Clinton - impeached over Lewinsky affair) I don't think W will be the exception to the rule. He's certainly laid the land mines ahead of himself on a number of fronts.

Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Cary

Timmy G

?Well, Ukraine's civil unrest sure looks a lot worse than ours. ;)

It appears that the US does not endorse the winner of this election. How quick Powell jumps on the ' there has not been an investigation of the numerous and credible reports of fraud and abuse.' train... Will CandleBreeza Rice jump up and say that Yanukovych is the winner - and to deal with it, like she did with Karzai in Afghanistan?

Winner declared in Ukraine; opposition calls for national strike

By Peter Finn / The Washington Post

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's Central Elections Commission declared Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych the winner of the country's bitterly disputed presidential vote Wednesday, defying strong pressure from the United States and other Western countries. In response, opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko called for a national strike starting Thursday.

Speaking after the election commission issued its official finding, Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters in Washington, "We cannot accept this result as legitimate because it does not meet international standards and because there has not been an investigation of the numerous and credible reports of fraud and abuse.

Complete Article Found HERE