Chronovisor [ConspiracyCafe.net] A World of Eloquence in an Upturned Palm, Are bodily gestures evolutionary?

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
1702405326490.png

IPB
Cafe Rules
Member TeamsArcadeLinksPortal HelpSearchMembersCalendar
Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Conspiracy Cafe Home > The Mysteries Cafe > Arcana & Ancient Civilisations

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A World of Eloquence in an Upturned Palm, Are bodily gestures evolutionary?
Options V
Joesvolcano post Aug 28 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Master Mind
Group Icon

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 198

A World of Eloquence in an Upturned Palm

By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: August 28, 2007

ATLANTA — The chimpanzees, after spotting the humans at the corner of their compound, came over to us with their arms outstretched and their palms turned upward. This was the chimps’ way of asking for a banana — and a lot more, as researchers here at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center have discovered.

That simple gesture, the upturned palm, is one of the oldest and most widely understood signals in the world. It’s activated by neural circuits inherited from ancient reptiles that abased themselves before larger animals. Chimps and other apes, notably humans, adapted it to ask not just for food, but also for more abstract forms of help, creating a new kind of signal that some researchers believe was the origin of human language.

If that’s true, if human eloquence can be traced from a primal message signifying “Gimme,” I’m not sure what conclusion to draw about our species. Maybe that we are inherently social creatures who survived and prevailed against mightier animals by learning to enlist the cooperation of others. Or maybe just that, in our heart of hearts, we are all slackers.

The meaning of the gesture is clear whether it’s with one upturned palm, the “Brother, can you spare a dime” stance of beggars around the world, or with the two-palm version favored by preachers who reach out to beseech divine assistance. Or by exasperated Hollywood directors who rise from their chairs with upturned palms to implore their actors, “Work with me, people!”

The upraised palm is the automatic accompaniment to an apology or an alibi. As you try blaming the computer for eating your homework, you shrug your shoulders and expose your palms as a show of helplessness. What could I do? How could I know?

The palm-up gesture is what the anthropologist David Givens, director of the Center for Nonverbal Studies in Spokane, Wash., calls a “gestural byproduct” of the circuits in the brain and spinal cord that protected vertebrates hundreds of millions of years ago.

Confronted with a threat, ancient lizards would instinctively bend their spine and limbs to press their bodies closer to the ground, protecting the neck and head and signaling submission to a larger animal. This crouch display is the opposite of the high-stand display, the aggressive posture of a stallion or a gorilla raising its chest and head to appear larger.

The human remnant of the crouch display is a shrug of the shoulders, which lowers the head and rotates the forearms outwards so that the palms face up. Conversely, the high-stand display persists in humans as a rotation of the forearms and palms in the opposite direction, producing the domineering palm-down gesture used by a boss slapping the conference table or an orator commanding quiet from his audience.

Most of these gestures are performed unconsciously, but the palm-up was adapted long ago for conscious gestures by humans and other apes. Chimps and bonobos have been observed using it in the wild and in captivity. In a recent study, Amy Pollick and Frans de Waal, of Emory University, found that chimps here at Yerkes and bonobos in California used gestures in different ways depending on the situation and the group.

A chimp would use the palm-up gesture to ask other chimps to share food, for help in a fight, for sex or, most frequently, to request a grooming session. Bonobos used it most often as an invitation to play. The chimps and bonobos also sent signals through vocalizations and facial expressions, but these didn’t vary much. They seemed to be more closely tied to emotions and weren’t used as flexibly.

“These observations,” Dr. Pollick said, “led Frans and me to speculate that gestures may have served as the steppingstone for early hominid communication and, possibly, language.”

The primatologists at Emory note that gestures are controlled by the same part of the brain that controls speech. But it is also possible, they said, that gestures and speech evolved jointly to create language, as suggested by David McNeill, a psychologist at the University of Chicago.

Synchronizing gestures and speech was essential, Dr. McNeill believes, because what we see humans do today could not have arisen from a system of gesture-first pantomime.

As language evolved, humans used the palm-up for more complex ideas. They could signal, “I don’t know,” by holding both palms face up — or cradling one upturned palm inside the other, a gesture North Africans use to mean, “I don’t understand.”

They could use the open palm metaphorically, as if it were holding an idea, to accompany an announcement like, “Here’s my plan.”

Chimps are not so subtle, but they can understand “Gimme” even when it’s coming from nonchimps. Dr. Pollick found that that she could get a chimp to give her something by pointing to the object and making the palm-up gesture.

Even when the desired object wasn’t visible, the chimps sometimes responded. When Dr. de Waal made the palm-up gesture to a chimp that had stashed some uncracked macadamia nuts inside her mouth, she knew exactly what he meant. She obliged him by gently spitting the nuts into his hand.

Watching the chimps at Yerkes, I began thinking of the palm-up as a sort of linguistic missing link, and it was comforting to think we still had some way to talk with our relatives. But this gesture has its limits for interspecies communication, as I realized when I tried making the palm-up gesture from the corner of the compound.

None of the chimps responded in any way. That wasn’t surprising, if only because they don’t normally respond to strangers. But even if they had wanted to, they would have been hard pressed to continue the conversation. They didn’t have anything to give me, and they lacked a vital human skill: the ability to counter one palm-up with another.

They didn’t know how to helplessly shrug their shoulders and hold out their empty upturned palms to send a sympathetic reply: I’d love to help you, buddy, but I’m all tapped out. Hominids learned to ask for favors early in their evolution. It took longer to figure out how to say a polite no.

User is offlineProfile CardPM Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KiraSjon post Aug 28 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Resident Southern Princess Living in Barna
Group Icon

Group: Staff Liaison
Member No.: 35

This is a pretty cool article. I actually used the upturned palm gesture a few days ago. We were in France and I barely speak a lick of french, but it didn't stop me from wanting to know where stuff was. Two upturned palms and a shoulder shrug seemed to communicate perfectly well in any language barrier.
+Quote Post
Nitesister post Aug 28 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Hot sand! Hot sand! Hot sand!
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 238

A lick of French? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
I gotta use that one!
+Quote Post
Jools post Aug 28 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Evil Genius
Group Icon

Member No.: 608

More humans evolved from apes nonsense.

Hey, what d'ya think the evolutionary human extrapolation of this gesture means?

(IMG:http://www.hat.net/album/asia/india...oo/050106131438_mooning_of_the_chimpanzee.jpg)

+Quote Post
Nitesister post Aug 28 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #5

Hot sand! Hot sand! Hot sand!
Group Icon

Member No.: 238

QUOTE(Jools @ Aug 28 2007, 11:41 PM) *

More humans evolved from apes nonsense.

Hey, what d'ya think the evolutionary human extrapolation of this gesture means?

(IMG:http://www.hat.net/album/asia/india...oo/050106131438_mooning_of_the_chimpanzee.jpg)

For the love of God, hurry up and invent pants?
+Quote Post
Jools post Aug 28 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #6

Evil Genius
Group Icon

Member No.: 608

Judging by the state of that backside, I'd of thought some of this would be more useful than discovering pants or even the wheel:

(IMG:http://shop.passionforlife.com/img/lge/pilex.jpg)
+Quote Post
StarLord post Aug 28 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Vizeer & Seer To The Luprachan
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

That's easy Jools,

Going Fishing.
+Quote Post
Grayson post Aug 30 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #8

Look into my eyes...
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 408

QUOTE(KiraSjon @ Aug 28 2007, 01:47 PM) *
This is a pretty cool article. I actually used the upturned palm gesture a few days ago. We were in France and I barely speak a lick of french, but it didn't stop me from wanting to know where stuff was. Two upturned palms and a shoulder shrug seemed to communicate perfectly well in any language barrier.

I tend to prefer a punch on the nose with the natives who 'no speaker-da-lingo' when in France. I have found that when struck thus, the average Frenchman can quickly discover how to swear in English. So, I have concluded that by the end of a really good kicking this same dude will be fluent in English... or dead, which is also a satisfactory outcome from such forms of education. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
StarLord post Aug 30 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I was not aware that your unbridled affection for the French went to such lengths Mon Ami.

Have you tried quoting from the Exorsist?
+Quote Post
Grayson post Aug 30 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Look into my eyes...
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 408

QUOTE(StarLord @ Aug 30 2007, 09:27 PM) *
I was not aware that your unbridled affection for the French went to such lengths Mon Ami.

Have you tried quoting from the Exorsist?

I would educate every Frenchman thus if I had the time Star... I see it as my civic duty fella. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As for the quote I would most favour using to Msieur Le-frog... it would be this:

Stick your cock up her ass,you mother fucking worthless cocksucker!
+Quote Post
StarLord post Aug 30 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Ah, I see. The Oblique Manuver.

Yes, a strong opening with just a scosh less confrontation than asking when the last time it was they saw a bar of bath soap or witnessed deodorant would be. A true diplomat. Completely bypasses any involvement with their Ego.
+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Arcana & Ancient Civilisations · Next Newest »
Enter Keywords

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

|-- Arcana & Ancient Civilisations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Conspiracy Cafe Home > The Mysteries Cafe > Arcana & Ancient Civilisations
- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th October 2007 - 03:34 AM

Free Top Site
Invision Power Board v2.1.7 © 2007 IPS, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator: