Indian man wants to sue parents for birthing him without consent

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Wait, what?

A young Indian man has decided to sue his parents for giving birth to him without his consent. It may sound like satire, but “anti-natalist” Raphael Samuel is at the forefront of a social movement so new it barely has a name.
“I love my parents,” Samuel insists, “but they had me for their joy and their pleasure.” The Mumbai resident says his life has been “amazing” – he just doesn’t believe it should have been forced on him, and he certainly doesn’t want to inflict it on someone else.

“I don’t see why I should put another life through the rigmarole of school and finding a career, especially when they didn’t ask to exist,” he told Indian outlet the Print.

“Anti-natalism” – a conscious, morally-influenced choice not to reproduce – appears to be catching on in India, with multiple Facebook groups and real-life meetups springing up to serve this unusual outgrowth of the child-free movement. It has linked up with the decades-old Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, an environmentalist current that essentially posits the world would be a better place if humans quietly died out, and attracted “closeted” child-free Indian couples who say they’ve faced judgment, even persecution in their communities and families for choosing not to have offspring.

Posting as Nihilanand on Facebook, Samuel shares droll memes (“Isn’t forcing a child into this world and then forcing it to have a career kidnapping and slavery?”) featuring photos of himself sporting a billowing black beard.

While some child-free activists tout the environmental benefits of not reproducing, and a 2017 study proclaimed having one fewer child was one of the most effective ways to reduce one’s carbon footprint, environmental and population scientists point out that fertility rates are already declining – both in India and elsewhere in the world – and voiced skepticism that such a movement was necessary.

It’s tempting to blame Indian government policy for the rise of the anti-natalists: the world’s second-most-populous country has been encouraging small family sizes for generations, with door-to-door campaigns urging young couples to stop at two children and even doling out financial incentives to poor families who opt not to reproduce.

The anti-natalists – currently operating as “Stop Making Babies,” though the name is subject to change – plan to hold their first national conference on Sunday in Bengaluru. While the movement has reportedly been percolating among young Indians for some time, this is their first serious attempt to organize in real life. They say their goal is to establish a national-level organization to spread awareness about child-free living.

Source:

Cirrus

Um, yeah, you can't sue your parents for deciding to have a child. That case wouldn't last two seconds in the US despite any publicity attached to it. Although... it would be interesting to hear SCOTUS weigh in on it.

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

Iam quite certain that in the UK those malevolent lunatic liberals along with lawyers, will want to try and enforce laws onto unsuspecting parents with charges of non consensual birth!!....The absurdly laughable way that the UK legal system has now descended into, means the more chance some form of non consensual birth law, will indeed be put into place!..

Moving on at a slight tangent, those lunatic liberal "gender equality" clowns, managed to get Kleenex tissues rebranded from Mansize tissues to Extra large tissues, even though the Mansize name had been going for over 60 years!!!...

The Advertising Standards Authority, which regulates advertising, has now placed into law, that it will BAN those adverts that "encourage gender stereo-types", such as women cleaning up after their family, or men failing to do housework!!!...This simply means that even more emphasis is now being given to another small group of idiotic liberal minded activists..

Last edited:

Cirrus

Iam quite certain that in the UK those malevolent lunatic liberals along with lawyers, will want to try and enforce laws onto unsuspecting parents with charges of non consensual birth!!....The absurdly laughable way that the UK legal system has now descended into, means the more chance some form of non consensual birth law, will indeed be put into place!..

Nah. Won't happen. If such a law was put into place, then anyone could sue their parents for the value of their life. The parents would counterclaim with the fact that they paid [X] amount of money to support the child's life and would seek to be repaid by the child. The only real remedy in this situation would be the death of the person suing the parents because that would be the only equitable relief. Even the crazies aren't that crazy to put such a law in place.

TimeFlipper

Nah. Won't happen. If such a law was put into place, then anyone could sue their parents for the value of their life. The parents would counterclaim with the fact that they paid [X] amount of money to support the child's life and would seek to be repaid by the child. The only real remedy in this situation would be the death of the person suing the parents because that would be the only equitable relief. Even the crazies aren't that crazy to put such a law in place.

You dont understand the UK as well as i do!....I tried to give you an example of the gender equality clowns, who got the Mansize Kleenex tissues rebranded into Extra Large tissues...That idea would have been uncontrollably laughed at a few years ago...

Lawyers are very devious people, especially when cash can be extracted from people, reasonably easy...The only hurdle they would have to get over would be, who would be the person or people, "to give, or not give, their consent to a baby being conceived"? ;)..

Cirrus

You dont understand the UK as well as i do!....I tried to give you an example of the gender equality clowns, who got the Mansize Kleenex tissues rebranded into Extra Large tissues...That idea would have been uncontrollably laughed at a few years ago...

Lawyers are very devious people, especially when cash can be extracted from people, reasonably easy...The only hurdle they would have to get over would be, who would be the person or people, "to give, or not give, their consent to a baby being conceived"? ;)..

Did I mention that I'm a lawyer ;)?

Sure, there will be some shark who will take any case for "notoriety", but the attorney will not take the case unless the client is actively paying (retainer or billable hours) or there is a realistic shot at winning. In this particular case, I only see an attorney taking this on if the client has a big wad of cash at the ready. That being said, I wouldn't touch this case with a 300 ft (or meter) pole.

Even so, your example of the "mansize" vs "extra large" tissues is inapposite to a law allowing an individual to sue his parents for birthing the individual. The tissue example deals with just words and their meaning and how that meaning changes over time as culture evolves (or devolves). The birthing suit deals with perceived harm. Even though such alleged harm could be lobbied in a court of law, there is no judge or jury that is going to agree to compensate the individual in that case.

TimeFlipper

Did I mention that I'm a lawyer ;)?

Sure, there will be some shark who will take any case for "notoriety", but the attorney will not take the case unless the client is actively paying (retainer or billable hours) or there is a realistic shot at winning. In this particular case, I only see an attorney taking this on if the client has a big wad of cash at the ready. That being said, I wouldn't touch this case with a 300 ft (or meter) pole.

Even so, your example of the "mansize" vs "extra large" tissues is inapposite to a law allowing an individual to sue his parents for birthing the individual. The tissue example deals with just words and their meaning and how that meaning changes over time as culture evolves (or devolves). The birthing suit deals with perceived harm. Even though such alleged harm could be lobbied in a court of law, there is no judge or jury that is going to agree to compensate the individual in that case.

I didnt say that only the parents would be sued...In the UK, its not unusual that a boy and girl under the age of 18 would easily have parental guardians, especially if they still lived with their parents, who could easily be sued, dont you think?....I only quoted the LAW that now exists for the case of the Mansize tissues, as an example of how ridiculous the "law" in the UK has become recently, irrespective of how inapposite it appears ;)....Anyways, you have your opinions and i have mine...end of :D....

Cirrus

I didnt say that only the parents would be sued...In the UK, its not unusual that a boy and girl under the age of 18 would easily have parental guardians, especially if they still lived with their parents, who could easily be sued, dont you think?

Wait... in the UK children under the age of 18 might have a "parental guardian" in addition to their parents? That's just bananas. In the US, parental guardians are appointed when the parents are dead or the parents are unfit to raise a child (i.e. drug addicts, homeless, etc.).

But, no, I don't think that a "parental guardian" could be sued in a birthing right lawsuit as they have no connection to or likely had a say in the actual birth of the child.

Kairos

I think we are basically seeing a mass natural selection event in progress whereby humans with maladapted genetics weed themselves out of the gene pool. The demographic winter is really just liberals offing themselves worldwide.

If you think about it, people with maladapted genetics until very recently couldn't really opt out of having children. Most of them still want to have sex and there was no realistic way to avoid reproduction longterm. But with the advent of birth control and the legalization of killing babies after we ended that in late antiquity, they are able to opt out of reproduction.

This character epitomizes maladapted genetics. Suing your parents for your existence? That sums up liberalism if you think about it.

We unfortunately were born in a time that these people burn down the latest iteration of human civilization while they off themselves. Sad.