Natural gas beneath Appalachia

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Natural gas beneath Appalachia

Natural gas as been found in US under 4 states. Looks like they found a way to extract it. 6,000 feets underground is a long way.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/02/04/natural.gas.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText

Geologists and energy companies have known for decades about the gas in the Marcellus Shale, but only recently have figured out a possible -- though expensive -- way to extract it from the thick black rock about 6,000 feet underground.

The shale holding the best prospects covers an area of 54,000 square miles, from upstate New York, across Pennsylvania into eastern Ohio and across most of West Virginia -- a total area bigger

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Re: Natural Gas Beneath Appalachia

What kind of gas is it? I didn't see it in the article... Maybe I'm blind.

Edit: Doh... Just reread your first sentence.

Condar

Re: Natural Gas Beneath Appalachia

The amount of gas and other fuels the government doesn't let us know about is astounding. Just another reason to have us fear, another reason to make us need them so badly. The oil companies probably own those gas deposits, just like they own hydrogen technology. Fuel cells would have been brought to the market in the 60's, the freakin' 60's if it wasn't for the oil companies. Capitalism at it's best I suppose. But damn I would have saved alot of money on gas.

The "EyE"